Best Mesh Wifi for home?

Soldato
Hi all,

Can anyone advise through experience/use which is the best Mesh Wifi for a home setup?

We have quite thick walls, so standard Wifi devices (Homehub, etc) are patchy. Currently have Extenders but it is annoying moving between rooms and the wifi drops as it seeks the next known base station.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Ubiquiti Wifi, you'll probably find a single access point would suffice, if not you can scale out although you need a cable for each device.

Associate
I'm using 2x amplifi hd routers sucessfully here in an old house with thick walls.
I'm only using 2 routers as I wanted more ports upstairs, but it works really well.
I tried extenders and power lines but they were rubbish compared to the mesh setup

Soldato
Soldato
OP
That isn't a mesh system.

They're good access points, but they'll all need to be wired (that's how they get their power for a start).

Understood, so basically what Pyromaniac said above - The Amplifi HD solution - one main 'router' and 2 antennae mains connected extenders?

Do you have an existing router to plug the UniFi AP into?

My setup is this:

BT HH -> Cat 6 -> (loft) 24 port switch in cab -> Cat 6 -> Bedrooms x 4 // Lounge x 1

I have no issues laying more Cat 6, but it'll be a case of probably taking it out of the loft and down the side of the house now we've fully renovated and redecorated.

We will be installing a separate NVR (POE) for IPCCTV off the 24-port switch

Associate
Soldato
OP
So I’m going with Unifi US-8 Switch, 2 x LR ACs and a unifi controller.

Will this cause any issues if I patch this switch into my current switch (to enable internet connectivity), bearing in mind DHCP is just being controlled by my BT HH?

Soldato
OP
Even with the Switch (POE) and the APs wired, this isn't mesh per-se is it? It is roaming between multiple APs but all sharing the same SSID? Would that involve any issues with switching as you're moving around (delays) or seamless? Would the Mesh setup be better?

Soldato
Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Some devices are useless at roaming to the strongest source however.

"Fast roaming" or 802.11r and 802.11k I imagine should be available on the Unifi settings somewhere. Should help in most situations.

Soldato
DHCP isn't going to be an issue.

DHCP isn't something that in anyway needs a 'powerful box'.

You can't have DHCP conflicts unless you have more than one DHCP server on the same network.

Caporegime
Cabled backhaul will beat a wifi mesh in every situation, you'll be glad you put the work into the physical install.

Soldato
OP
Cabled backhaul will beat a wifi mesh in every situation, you'll be glad you put the work into the physical install.

It definitely was a bit of work, had to lift floorboards and brave the loft (discovered a vertical roof support beam wasn’t actually fixed in place... when I lent against it, balanced precariously between plasterboard ceiling!).

Had to use a pull-through as several floorboards were too well nailed in place, luckily no issues. Crimping was OK, actually preferred it to punching cat6.

Back
Top Bottom