Best Monitor for gaming?

Man of Honour
Don't be daft crt owns any tft in the world for picture quality and performance.Bioshock looks amazing and plays amazing on my crt.

C64, it would be appreciated if you avoided going into every single thread about what is clerly a TFT decision, and recommending a CRT. Yes, we know you love CRT's, yes, they still have their place for gamers. But it's getting a bit stupid and border line fan-boy!

Associate
C64, it would be appreciated if you avoided going into every single thread about what is clerly a TFT decision, and recommending a CRT. Yes, we know you love CRT's, yes, they still have their place for gamers. But it's getting a bit stupid and border line fan-boy!

Indeed well said getting abit old for me to.And i have only been around a few months.I have learnt not to respond to him as it just sets him of.

Caporegime
Also consider the Samsung 215TW

This is a beaut of a 21" screen with a S-PVA samsung panel (no panel lottery)

IMO you won't miss the 1" compared to the 22" TN film panels and I would much rather have the better quality screen.

And can be had for a bargain £170 on the net at the moment.

Man of Honour
the 215TW is a nice screen, but sadly not very responsive in practice, so prob not really suitable for gaming.

latency.gif

Tom's Hardware Guide measure of latency

IMG0016994.jpg

BeHardware's measure of responsiveness...

read their reviews for some more info, but sadly there wasn't any real improvement in the 8ms G2G gen of PVA panels compared with the previous 12ms non-overdriven panels (in practice)

Caporegime
Yeah but all depends how susceptable to ghosting you are.

I never noticed it on 16ms Hitachi and some people won't notice it on the Samsung which is faster.

All depends on what monitor you are upgrading from. If it isn't an issue with you now, then it won't be with a new screen either.

I do think too much emphasis is put on the speed of a screen with overdrives to get them down to lower speeds. These bring in their own problems.

I can remember when everybody was happy with any screen less than 25ms and reviewers stated that they couldn't see any ghosting/lag on these screens. I wonder what has changed with reviewers? Were they just no good at reviewing monitors 3 or 4 years ago?

Soldato
Another vote for the NEC, the support's very good as well. I came from an Iyama VM Pro 454 crt and now I've adjusted to the crt/lcd differences i'm very happy with it, nowhere near perfect but then what is? I used to spend ages messing about with pin cushion and all that stuff on the crt trying to get the picture straight for example. Unless you're Fatal1ty or something then you'll still have a great gaming experience on an LCD.

Man of Honour
Yeah but all depends how susceptable to ghosting you are.

I never noticed it on 16ms Hitachi and some people won't notice it on the Samsung which is faster.

All depends on what monitor you are upgrading from. If it isn't an issue with you now, then it won't be with a new screen either.

I do think too much emphasis is put on the speed of a screen with overdrives to get them down to lower speeds. These bring in their own problems.

I can remember when everybody was happy with any screen less than 25ms and reviewers stated that they couldn't see any ghosting/lag on these screens. I wonder what has changed with reviewers? Were they just no good at reviewing monitors 3 or 4 years ago?

well yeah it is all relative. Ghosting is not really an issue any more, but motion blur is still very obvious on many many screens. The 215TW may well be listed as 8ms G2G, but in practice it probably isn't really any faster than the Hitachi screen some years ago. Obviously perception of blurring varies from one user to another, but i would still not classify the 215TW as a "gaming" screen, especially when there's many other models available which are far more suited

Associate
226BW gets my vote.
I do have to agree with C64 though CRTs are still the very best for gaming, but LCDs are catching up.
The 226 is a very nice, and solid LCD monitor. Also, the 1650x1050 resolution is a excellent compromise between power and image.

Soldato
If you play first person shooters and require an lcd then it has to be the Samsung 226bw for sure. If you play any other types of games you'll more than likely be happy with any of the modern lcd screens.

C64

C64

Soldato
No S-Ips spva is definitely the way forward for now.The colour and brightness shift on tn film is horrendous imo have one sitting on downstairs pc it's hideous.

Associate
This is a beaut of a 21" screen with a S-PVA samsung panel (no panel lottery)

Could someone explain this to me? Heard the panel lottery mentioned a lot, guessing some come with the better panel, some don't, and it's just blind luck (similar to processor steppings?)
Is it still an issue?

Edit: did some reading around, looks like all newly shipped Samsung SM-226BW monitors will use the better panel, any chance of finding out which version OCUK has in stock at the minute?

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
Afraid so yes it is like a bit of a gamble with a lot of models that's why people are tending to converge towards known good models such as the dell 2407wfp-hc.
Because with dell it's less hassle returning and getting replacements even new replacements if you are not happy.At the moment i would only buy dell because of the fantastic 4 years warranty and 0 dead pixel guarantee.I do think it is worth saving just that bit extra for the 2407-hc.

Last edited:
Soldato
sammy 226bw

downsides:

viewing angles when not sat infront of monitor:D
only looks amazing at 1680*1050

apart from the above ^^, its an amazing monitor.
i thought my 19" crt looked good and it did compared to other monitors i had seen, but the sammy made me install so many of my older games again, it simply breathed new life into them, playing the games on a 22" crystal clear display at widescreen is great. the crt(hyundai imageQuest Q995) doesnt compare in picture clarity.
i had both monitors side by side running tiberium wars in max detail at the title screen yet the sammy looks so much better, so much more clearer with more vivid colours, sammy was in a higher res but i dont bother playing over 1280*1024 res on a 19" monitor.

yes it is an S panel but if u get a good one then its worth even 400 quid(my opinion ofcourse).

Man of Honour
Could someone explain this to me? Heard the panel lottery mentioned a lot, guessing some come with the better panel, some don't, and it's just blind luck (similar to processor steppings?)
Is it still an issue?

Edit: did some reading around, looks like all newly shipped Samsung SM-226BW monitors will use the better panel, any chance of finding out which version OCUK has in stock at the minute?

check out these articles, which explain the panel lottery on the SM226BW:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/22inch.html

no way of finding out which panels OcUK stock i dont think, it's been asked before

Associate
S-IPS panels are the best consumer TFTs atm, imo. Get one of those and you can't go far wrong. My NEC 20WGX2 has AS-IPS which is an enhanced version and its brilliant.....comes the closest to CRT quality for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom