Best motherboard for future proofing a new PC

Associate
Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new computer but last time I built one it was on the cusp of a new advancement in the design of motherboards and connectors, which meant that that computer quickly became non-upgradeable. Since then I've just had cheap laptops but I now want a PC for gaming and although it isn't going to be used for supercharged high-end gaming I'd still rather spend more on a motherboard that will last a decent length of time than plum for the cheapest thing I can find. Are there any such step changes expected for motherboards or connection types in the near future? And, either way, what's the best motherboard to pick as a base for a new PC to ensure that it won't become obsolete soon?

Associate
OP
Hmm I think I might be asking the wrong questions.. I wasn't focusing on the motherboard because I thought it was an expensive part but because I thought it was the lynchpin that defined how upgradeable the whole PC would be. My memory of the drama I had last time was that the motherboard and connectors technology became obsolete shortly after so all the attached drives, memory, processor etc became obsolete too because they couldn't connect to any new motherboard technology either, making it just as infuriating as buying laptops that need junking every X number of years.
I suppose my real question is just that I need advice on how to get a cheapish computer now because my budget is tight that will continue to be upgradeable over time for when my budget becomes more kind :)

Associate
OP
I'll probably just be playing fairly average MMO games like WoW on a fairly average screen; I'm not there at the moment to check but I think it's just 1920x1080

Associate
OP
So if I find a motherboard with an AM4 socket, is it going to be able to take any Zen, Zen+ or Zen2 processor? And then for Zen3 we just need to wait and see?

Back
Top Bottom