1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best non in-ear earphones?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by tabs, Nov 5, 2011.

1. tabs

Gangster

Hi

Does anyone have an opinion on the best non in-ear earphones?

I dont really seem to get on with in-ear, for some reason whenever i wear them i can always hear myself walking much louder, chewing food much louder etc and dont know why that is.

As a indicator of sound quality, i have previously had the bang and olufsen earphonese which have just broken. If there is nothing else comparable i will just buy another pair, i like that they have the ear wraparound for when i am running.

Thanks!

2. s452

Hitman

this is not my area of expertise, but can you give us more information, such as
    What will you be using as your primary media source for them i.e mobile phone, portable music Player, home hi-fi system etc?
    are you using an amp?
    type of music/noise you listen to?
    do you want open or closed headphones (do you want others to be able to hear your music)?
    do you want any other features such as active sound cancelling, wireless etc?
    and how much is your budget?

3. tabs

Gangster

They will be connected to my iphone all the time and will mostly be used in the gym.
    I listen to a pretty wide range of music, im not too bothered if they make some music sound better than others.
    Closed headphones, others shouldnt be able to hear.
    No other features are really necessary, but my budget is unlimited so im looking for the best i can get.

4. mithrandir

Mobster

Grado GR10 perhaps?

5. sHo0sH

Wise Guy

Beyerdynamic t50p
    Koss porta pro
    Sennheiser hd25 ii

Any of those float your boat?

6. tabs

Gangster

Thanks for the suggestions, but those are all headphones which dont really work for in the gym. I am looking for earphones.

7. sHo0sH

Wise Guy

So ear phones, that arent "in-ear" ?

They are all crap.

8. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I've been using these for years and they have completed 1000s & 1000s of miles and many gym sessions with me.
    They're not the greatest sounding headphones but for gym work/running they are excellent.
    They are classed as in-ear but they're nothing like the buds that close off all the ear.
    I've modified my running ones by getting a metal coat hanger and taping it over the band so that they never move a fraction of a mm.
    For the price just try a pair and I think it might be exactly what you're after.

[​IMG]

9. Shamrock

Mobster

He is after earbuds not IEMs. By design they don't isolate as well as IEMs and decent sound quality is probably wasted as it's unlikely you'll be listening critically whilst exercising.

What about Sennheiser's Adidas sports range...

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/adidas

10. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

As explained, they're not really IEM's because there is space all around them.
    Proper IEM's close off the ear but these don't.

11. Shamrock

Mobster

Sorry, I wasn't directing that towards your post. It was more of a general tidbit for those not clear on what non-IEMs are called.

12. tabs

Gangster

Yes i've looked at that sennheiser range but they arent so much cheaper than the B&O earphones i used to have, are they better?

Is it common to not get along with IEMs? Or is there something i am missing / doing wrong?

13. Shamrock

Mobster

Not at all, not everyone likes objects deep in their ear canals. I can't comment on whether they sound better, but they might be more suitable for sports considering your B&Os broke.

14. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Honestly Tabs, send off for some of those cheapies and for gym work you won't be disappointed.
    I've got 4 pairs around the house and I choose them over my £89 Ultimate Ears that I wasted money on.

15. sHo0sH

Wise Guy

16. tabs

Gangster

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I dont think those Sony ones are really for me, i think ill just buy another pair of B&O ones as they lasted a few years and know what to expect.

17. kidloco

Mobster

Just bought a set of AKG 450, considering they originally retailed for £150 and I paid £42 including delivery they are a bit of a bargain.

18. Marsman

Sgarrista

Do some people not read the title of the thread, or read any of the posts? :confused:

19. kidloco

Mobster

There not in ear headphones, they are cans :confused:

20. Marsman

Sgarrista

I know.

The OP is looking for earphones. It's been mentioned enough times in various posts, and it's in the title.