Best PSU possible - 4x 12V rails if poss

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a new PSU. I currently have an Enermax Noise Taker 600W and I feel that I need more stable power.

Budget isn't an issue on this one, can be either £80 - £200. I'm not fussed I just want the best for my PC.

I'm wanting 4x 12V rails with a good amount of amperage going through them but it has to be efficient. As in the range of about 85% efficacy at full load.

My system is in my sag so please let me know which is going to be best.

Many thanks,

Agent.

Soldato
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/psu-roundup_6.html

The declared characteristics are truly impressive. The FX700-GLN has four +12V lines with a current of 15A each, and the only limitation to their combined load is the overall wattage of the unit, i.e. 680W for the main rails. In other words, the manufacturer promises you can load this power supply through one 12V power rail only.

Associate
TBH it's probably best if you go for something with decent single rail Ampage or a dual rail with switchable for single rail. quad rails are likely, as hilighted by Dutch, to be low ampage per rail so more likely to be overloaded.

Personally I'd go for a 580W Tagan Modular.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

thanks for all of your replies.

I'm just after a PSU which will be very stable and not have too much "wobble" when at load and hence resulting in a more stable clock.

My system does drain a lot of power so I'm really after a strong, reliable and highly efficient PSU.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
BigDom said:
TBH it's probably best if you go for something with decent single rail Ampage or a dual rail with switchable for single rail. quad rails are likely, as hilighted by Dutch, to be low ampage per rail so more likely to be overloaded.
Yes and no, the PSU I linked to has two 15A 12V rails purely for a PCIe videocard and still has 15A for the CPU and 15A for the rest without a combined limit so you can load the PSU with 4x15A without a problem.

Associate
Do you not reckon that for your rig a good psu with 500+w would be ok. From what ive heard about crossfire cards causing probs on dual rail psu's id go for a tagan where its switchable between single and dual rails and if under dual it loads too high it switches automatically

Associate
PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW is the best PSU i know of, fraid your looking at a bit more than 200 for it though, still you did say money is no object.

• 1000W continuous and 1100W peak power
• NVIDIA® SLI™ READY component
• +12VDC Rails Total 66A (70A Peak)
• Extended ATX form factor fits most std cases
• High-efficiency design (85%) with .99 PFC
• Amazingly quiet!!
• Dual PCI Express video power connectors
• 15 drive connectors (6 SATA, 8 Molex, 1 mini)
• The industry's strongest warranty (5 years)

unlikely with your rig youl be anywhere near 1000w so wont have the full 85% efficiency though.

Uses 3 +12 V rails, two with 16A and one with 36 A which is 66A but has 70A peak rating.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Smurfy said:
PCP&C Turbo-Cool 1KW is the best PSU i know of, fraid your looking at a bit more than 200 for it though, still you did say money is no object.

• 1000W continuous and 1100W peak power
• NVIDIA® SLI™ READY component
• +12VDC Rails Total 66A (70A Peak)
• Extended ATX form factor fits most std cases
• High-efficiency design (85%) with .99 PFC
• Amazingly quiet!!
• Dual PCI Express video power connectors
• 15 drive connectors (6 SATA, 8 Molex, 1 mini)
• The industry's strongest warranty (5 years)

unlikely with your rig youl be anywhere near 1000w so wont have the full 85% efficiency though.

Uses 3 +12 V rails, two with 16A and one with 36 A which is 66A but has 70A peak rating.

I knew it sounded too perfect! I can't find any one in the UK who sells then!!

Oh well. Looks like the hunt continues..

Agent.

Permabanned
there is a place in the uk but alas its a competitor and the psu is £350. If you are only using 1.4v on the cpu why do you need so much power??? I think those psu's are pretty damn noisey too.

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
Yes and no, the PSU I linked to has two 15A 12V rails purely for a PCIe videocard and still has 15A for the CPU and 15A for the rest without a combined limit so you can load the PSU with 4x15A without a problem.
Just takes one rail to overload though and your in trouble. I'd say it's just cutting it a bit fine. I think you'll also find you can't load all rails to 15A at once so could run out of ampage even so. In fact you can't as the supply is 680W and 4x15A on 12V is 720W.

Associate
OP
Mr Mister said:
there is a place in the uk but alas its a competitor and the psu is £350. If you are only using 1.4v on the cpu why do you need so much power??? I think those psu's are pretty damn noisey too.

UI'm wanting all that power for stability. I dont know why but of late i've become more and more worried about my CPU and how much its throwing out.

Yes I know I have a good PSU and yes it will probably last for years to come but I want to make sure that my system is going to last a while into the future with the PSU.

The idea of 4 12V rails does intreeg me a lot. I just souns sexeh tbh...

Agent.

Back
Top Bottom