Best/Recommended compressed air to clear dust?

Associate
Hello,

I was hoping some of you could recommend a brand/product that you use to clear dust from keyboards to within the case. I know some of the cheaper ones can leave more moisture when up close than some (aware that most will do if its right up to whatever it is you're pointing it at).

Also could you recommend other than compressed air, any tools that are good for cleaning around your computer and components/fans and also anything you can buy/do to reduce the amount of dust from getting in.

Thank you in advance!

Man of Honour
For loosening dust from fan blades, pcb's and heatsinks you can't beat a 1/2" paint brush. I have been using one for years and wouldn't be without one now.

For stopping dust getting in you can buy filters but they will restrict airflow. Ladies tights/stockings are very good as well.

Associate
Used to be able to buy a can of 5 star compressed air for 2 quid but prices online now are ridiculous.

If you can find a hardware store that sells compressed air that would be your best bet but personally I can't find any anywhere.

Soldato
As above "Compucleaner", works brilliantly. I also use it to blow out the loop for cleaning. And a dozen other non PC functions, great for far car interior cleaning

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen those things being used and they look great but £50 to do almost the same job as a 2 quid can of compressed air is a bit much. Especially since you aren't exactly cleaning it out that often.

Associate
DataVac Electric Duster. Will blow every piece of dust you can imagine away from anything. :) I take my PC out to the garden every 6 months and after 5 minutes it looks like new inside and out (including the fans/radiator). Just so much power and you don't have to faff about with little cans of air or worry about moisture. Going on 4 years with it now and no issues with reliability.

Associate
I've seen those things being used and they look great but £50 to do almost the same job as a 2 quid can of compressed air is a bit much. Especially since you aren't exactly cleaning it out that often.

I thought that too until I got a compucleaner. I use it for all sorts now. Cleaning keyboards, speaker grills, hard to reach areas in my car get blasted. I recently used it to blow out our dyson vacuum (top tip do it outside) basically anything that gathers dust but is hard to clean with normal methods this thing is ace for.

Soldato
I thought that too until I got a compucleaner. I use it for all sorts now. Cleaning keyboards, speaker grills, hard to reach areas in my car get blasted. I recently used it to blow out our dyson vacuum (top tip do it outside) basically anything that gathers dust but is hard to clean with normal methods this thing is ace for.

Same i even used mine on a sign installation job after drilling some walls to fit a sign i could blow all the dust away and out the holes :)

Amazing bit of kit!

Don

The £2 cans of air are terrible these days (probably due to changes to the propellant in them due to environmental regulations) - in that you only get a couple of squirts at "full pressure", before the can goes super cold, and the pressure becomes less. Whilst I agree it's a lot of money to spend if you only have 1 PC at home to clean out, if you have several PCs, or any other devices e.g. PS4/Xbox/AV Receiver etc then it quickly pays for itself vs Compressed air.

Associate
The £2 cans of air are terrible these days (probably due to changes to the propellant in them due to environmental regulations) - in that you only get a couple of squirts at "full pressure", before the can goes super cold, and the pressure becomes less. Whilst I agree it's a lot of money to spend if you only have 1 PC at home to clean out, if you have several PCs, or any other devices e.g. PS4/Xbox/AV Receiver etc then it quickly pays for itself vs Compressed air.

Yer, noticed that myself. Always used to use Kenair for dusting camera equipment and the computer but picked other varieties up from an office supplies shop and they are pathetic really. For annual desktop cleanout I now use farm workshop compressor :eek: Does the job a treat but not used for camera equipment. Don't go too close with air jet and for cleaning fans usually hold the fan with a screwdriver to prevent overspeeding them and possibly doing them damage.

Associate
can confirm, the air blasters linked above are excellent.

mine has a dodgy switch but takes like 30 seconds and my PC is cleaned out. obviously blasting it outside in the garden :D

dont waste your time with cans of compressed air.

Soldato
DataVac Electric Duster. Will blow every piece of dust you can imagine away from anything. :) I take my PC out to the garden every 6 months and after 5 minutes it looks like new inside and out (including the fans/radiator). Just so much power and you don't have to faff about with little cans of air or worry about moisture. Going on 4 years with it now and no issues with reliability.
+1 to this, love mine. Infinitely better than little cans of air and cheaper in the long run.

Associate
I know, an old thread but I was looking for something like this, compucleaner, to take care of any buildup of dust in my new build. Order placed :)

Back
Top Bottom