Best results for PS2 on modern TV?

Soldato
I've had to take my gaming area apart, CRT and all to make way for a nursery!

I really want to still have access to my ps2 however this would now need to be via my more modern TV (not ideal I know).

I do have a PS2 to HDMI adapter. I remember this working fine on my PC monitor but if i recall, i couldn't get it to display on my Samsung TV back when i tried it.

Do any of you play PS2 on a HDTV? If so what method do you use? Don't want to break the bank

i have a little black box called "GANA MINI AV2HDMI UP Scaler 1080p" it works for my ps1 and ps2 on my samsung ks7000, got it off the rainforest

but make sure the ps2 is set to rgb as it won't display on the other setting which might be why you cant get the display

Last edited:
I use an ossc and I believe this is as good as it gets. I also use it for my Amiga and the results are excellent,even on a 60" 4kTV. Probably more than you want to spend however, but I don't think youd lose much on it.

PS2 to HDMI arrived this morning, 4 quid from Ebay and arrived with 30 hours of ordering....

Plug and play, doesn't like when you try and run PS1 games but I can still play them on the PS3. Took a few pics, games still look decent on a 50" 4k TV.

Can't beat £4 if it works well enough for you! I was going to recommend the OSSC as well but that's about £135 vs £4 so quite a difference! Although the OSSC will work with more video modes if you plan to go to other consoles like the SNES / Mega Drive etc.

The Framemeister is the next step up in cost, but not necessarily in quality - it is supposed to be better but has a higher input lag and is nearly 2.5 times the cost of the OSSC and it isn't really 2.5 times better. It does support a few extra inputs over the OSSC as well, like S-Video.

PS2 to HDMI arrived this morning, 4 quid from Ebay and arrived with 30 hours of ordering....

Plug and play, doesn't like when you try and run PS1 games but I can still play them on the PS3. Took a few pics, games still look decent on a 50" 4k TV.

That's exactly what I have :) not sure why but it worked fine on my PC monitor but my Smasung KS7000 TV wont pick it up. I think it may have something to do with the One Connect breakout box these TVs use for HDMI connections, though I'm not 100% sure. My Wii2Hdmi works perfectly and actually looks very sharp

Is an original 60gb PS3 a good option here?
I was going to say this too, I actually think it's one of the better/more straight forward ways. Just looks ugly (the system itself I mean).

I think they are fairly high in price too. I had one but mine died a long time ago :(

I was watching a video on the subject and apparently theres 2 types of early ps3 model that handle the backwards compatibility differently. One I think does it purely from a hardware point of view, and a slightly later model uses software emulation for slightly different results.

I was going to say this too, I actually think it's one of the better/more straight forward ways. Just looks ugly (the system itself I mean).

I think they are fairly high in price too. I had one but mine died a long time ago :(

I was watching a video on the subject and apparently theres 2 types of early ps3 model that handle the backwards compatibility differently. One I think does it purely from a hardware point of view, and a slightly later model uses software emulation for slightly different results.

They are a little ugly haha. I still have my release day PS3, it probably has <250 hours use on it. To me it does seem a better option to use with a modern TV, plus the use of wireless controllers and no memory cards to mess about with. I guess it's down to if you want the retro experience with a proper PS2 or not.

Ok randomly retried my PS2 to HDMI adapter. I swear I tried switching the output last time with no results. Wither way this time it's working now that I've switched it from RGB to component in the system settings. Thought I ruled that out last time.

20190414-140302.jpg

So will get it set up nicely and give it a go for a few days. Picture is fine, contrast seems a little off (shadows darker than expected) but nothing major.

Any such thing as a ps2 wireless pad?

Ok randomly retried my PS2 to HDMI adapter. I swear I tried switching the output last time with no results. Wither way this time it's working now that I've switched it from RGB to component in the system settings. Thought I ruled that out last time.

20190414-140302.jpg

So will get it set up nicely and give it a go for a few days. Picture is fine, contrast seems a little off (shadows darker than expected) but nothing major.

Any such thing as a ps2 wireless pad?

I use a third party one, adapter is powered from the PS2 and the pad takes 2 AAA batteries.

I'm struggling with how best to approach PS2 and PS1 games on a HDTV (1440p monitor in my case)...

I've tried an composite to HDMI converter... pretty poor (as expected). The image quality isn't so much the issue, more that it isn't centered, is stretched, artefacts etc
I've tried a PS2 HDMI output, which doesn't seem to work at all. If it did, i need to set the PS2 to YPbPr, which I understand causes issues with PS1 games. This will also mean I can't use my PS1... not really an issue, as I can use PS2 for both, but it would be nice to be able to use the PS1... because nostalgia!

I can't really accomodate a CRT and don't want to add a second LCD for more input options, to still get poor results.

Is RGB scart to Retrotink or OSSC the way to go? Can anyone offer any advice?

I think realistically if you want a decent end result with an original PS1 or PS2 on a modern TV, then an OSSC is the way to go. The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I still have a CRT I use for my retro stuff, however if I was forced to get rid of it then I'd have to get one simply because the cheap alternatives aren't much good, and using RGB SCART on a modern TV directly produces awful results.

Just buy the OSSC!

In fairness make sure you have SCART/RGB cables for what ever you plug into the OSSC as it doesn't do display over composite (only sync I think).

With the PS2 I've switched a bit between RGB and SCART depending on what I'm playing, RGB looks great on some games but on GT4 the combination with the PS2's interlacing just breaks it a bit (same for burnout 3 with the high speed reflections).

As the aside/back up for the OSSC, it's been a blast getting every console set up with it, worked wonders with my Japanese N64, Cube and Saturn. There's enough in the box to make it really help get classic consoles working on my 40 inch tv they weren't designed for.

Back
Top Bottom