Best results for PS2 on modern TV?

Soldato
Just buy the OSSC!

In fairness make sure you have SCART/RGB cables for what ever you plug into the OSSC as it doesn't do display over composite (only sync I think).

With the PS2 I've switched a bit between RGB and SCART depending on what I'm playing, RGB looks great on some games but on GT4 the combination with the PS2's interlacing just breaks it a bit (same for burnout 3 with the high speed reflections).

As the aside/back up for the OSSC, it's been a blast getting every console set up with it, worked wonders with my Japanese N64, Cube and Saturn. There's enough in the box to make it really help get classic consoles working on my 40 inch tv they weren't designed for.

Thanks. They do offer a refund if you don't get on with it it seems.

This video sowed the seeds of doubt re 480i issues.

I'm looking at this RGB cable

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323909826433

Soldato
Pingwing has covered all the salient points, so I won't repeat everything. One point worth reiterating is to get the right cable for the console in question, to use with the OSSC. Checkout retrogamingcables or similar suppliers.

I went with the OSSC after reading all the in depth guides online. For the money I think it's the best device and it works across all my retro consoles and even my Amiga 1200. I also haven't noticed any issues with the quality of the display on the PS2 and I'm currently using it with my Dreamcast. Try it :)

Soldato
Received my OSSC and RetroGamingCables RGB csync cable and got it all set up. Already looking better than the terrible HDMI converter I had previously from a quick test on Gran Turismo 3 with the stock settings.

Any suggested resources for OSSC settings or tips from users?
Should I use wide, 4:3 or full on my PS2? I believe PS1 games will be 4:3 and PS2 games either 4:3 or with a widescreen option?

I'm using a 1440p monitor, which has 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1 pixel options.

If my understanding is correct, 4x line multiplying would be my best option? or 480i passthrough and let the monitor scale? As the OSSC is designed for this purpose, I imagine it would do a better job?

Soldato
OP
Received my OSSC and RetroGamingCables RGB csync cable and got it all set up. Already looking better than the terrible HDMI converter I had previously from a quick test on Gran Turismo 3 with the stock settings.

Any suggested resources for OSSC settings or tips from users?
Should I use wide, 4:3 or full on my PS2? I believe PS1 games will be 4:3 and PS2 games either 4:3 or with a widescreen option?

I'm using a 1440p monitor, which has 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1 pixel options.

If my understanding is correct, 4x line multiplying would be my best option? or 480i passthrough and let the monitor scale? As the OSSC is designed for this purpose, I imagine it would do a better job?

Interested in this too. Tempted by the OSSC but even this lost leads me to believe it's not that straight forward?

Once you nail the settings per console, is it then just a case of turning it on to play or do you have to fiddle with settings all the time, per game, per system?

Soldato
Interested in this too. Tempted by the OSSC but even this lost leads me to believe it's not that straight forward?

Once you nail the settings per console, is it then just a case of turning it on to play or do you have to fiddle with settings all the time, per game, per system?

I haven't got in to really reading up on it yet, but you can save presets and load them, so once you've figured it out, it should just be a case of pressing a button.

I think I just need to spend a bit of time figuring it out.

My initial test did work without changing anything other than the input to rgb though, so it should work pretty much straight away, but perhaps can be improved with settings.

Soldato
Yeah you can save loads of presets and then set them off using the remote, it'll take some time getting to the right settings for your tv.

On mine all the best performance on the PS2 and cube has been to run it as a pass through and let the console sort its self out using rgb. The Saturn thrived on x3 on some games and x2 on others, there's so much to play with I'd start with little bits and work up to a full set of options for the ps2.

Soldato
OP
How much did an OSSC work out at In pounds with delivery etc? Assuming you got the genuine VGA one?

I see Amazon sell some sort that appears to be a different manufacturer?

Soldato
How much did an OSSC work out at In pounds with delivery etc? Assuming you got the genuine VGA one?

I see Amazon sell some sort that appears to be a different manufacturer?

I'll have to check, but it wasn't cheap. I got the remote, overlay and PSU too. I went for the genuine VGP model for the warranty and support etc. I felt this was worth the £40 or so extra, over an unknown manufacturer. I've seen the Kaico(sp?) models recommended and taken apart etc, and they look good, but are more expensive than some of the other third party models.

I'd either go for the £115ish models on ebay, or the VGP one. The middle ground isn't worth the risk IMO.

YMMV though.

I struggled to justify the cost tbh, but see it as an investment for various systems and it seemed the only real option tbh. In for a penny and all that... if I'm going to revisit retro systems, I might as well have a good experience in doing so.

EDIT - £169.42

Soldato
OP
I'll have to check, but it wasn't cheap. I got the remote, overlay and PSU too. I went for the genuine VGP model for the warranty and support etc. I felt this was worth the £40 or so extra, over an unknown manufacturer. I've seen the Kaico(sp?) models recommended and taken apart etc, and they look good, but are more expensive than some of the other third party models.

I'd either go for the £115ish models on ebay, or the VGP one. The middle ground isn't worth the risk IMO.

YMMV though.

I struggled to justify the cost tbh, but see it as an investment for various systems and it seemed the only real option tbh. In for a penny and all that... if I'm going to revisit retro systems, I might as well have a good experience in doing so.

EDIT - £169.42

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to see a total figure to get my head round with all the extras, delivery etc.

How long did it take to arrive? I agree tbh, £170 isnt terrible when j almost jumped on a Mega SG just for MD games. This would let me use my original hardware along with all the other systems.

Need to justify it to myself, just more worried about how it will work and if I can get my head around all the settings etc

Soldato
@kinger8938 It took around 3-5 working days. Unfortunately I can't advise on whether you will be able to understand the settings etc. There does look to be pretty good support and they offer a no quibble return.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

In addition to the standard 1 year EU warranty, we’re also giving a one-month no quibble return for all units. Test the OSSC in your setup and if it doesn’t work, return it to us for a full refund. All we ask is that you pay return postage and send the complete unit with packaging and any accessories undamaged.

I'd advise you to check whether you have any foreign currency charges with your bank, as the transaction is in €

Back
Top Bottom