Best Road Bike for £300

Soldato
I think your attitude has been covered already.

Yes, I am fed up of posting helpful advice, just to have it nit-picked and torn to pieces by people who have no better advice to offer.

That Ribble bike I linked is a great buy, comparable even with my best bikes, some of which have cost over £2000.

If OP wants a Decathlon bike then fair enough, but as I have already said, people including myself sell £1000 bikes for OP's budget on eBay - that would be the best option in this case.

I suspect that OP wanted to say "I fancy this bike - what do you think". If that had been the case I wouldn't have posted.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I suspect that OP wanted to say "I fancy this bike - what do you think". If that had been the case I wouldn't have posted.

I simply asked what the best bike for £300 was!

I have not decided to get the Triban at all, I just wanted to see what options were out there.

Turns out my options are;

1. Triban 3
2. Ribble which is almost double what I want to spend.
3. Second hand. I have been checking local shops and ebay and so far nothing has come up.

Please note I have not ridiculed your suggestion. I just merely pointed out it didn't meet my specification.

Soldato
That Ribble is THE best entry level road bike full stop.

Regardless of how relevant your post is to the OP, i dont think it's quite so clear-cut anymore. It certainly was the case that the ribble was the best value a few years ago, but there are a lot more budget bikes around now.
The Triban 5 is almost exactly the same spec as the ribble and costs around £100 less (when you factor in the cost of pedals, which are included with the triban but not the ribble)

Associate
OP
After Divuk's post I managed to find a couple of interesting 2nd hand bikes.

A Scott Speedster s50 and a TREK Alpha 1.1 2012 which both fall into the distance/price range.

Could anyone tell me are these going to offer a significant improvement over the Triban 3?

Associate

A Scott Speedster s50 and a TREK Alpha 1.1 2012 which both fall into the distance/price range.

Could anyone tell me are these going to offer a significant improvement over the Triban 3?

The Scott is the better of the two and if it feels like the right size I'd definitely go for that due to the forks, groupset, wheels, etc being an improvement of those offered on the triban.

Associate
Originally Posted by bignev72

as king85 says the scott is the better of the the other two.

Associate
OP
The Scott is the better of the two and if it feels like the right size I'd definitely go for that due to the forks, groupset, wheels, etc being an improvement of those offered on the triban.

It's a 100 mile round trip but i'm seriously considering this.

Back
Top Bottom