best road bike lights/mudguards?

Soldato
I'd put some money towards some high visibility stuff as well, it;s not cool I know, but certainly best to be seen :) as for Mudguards/lights, as [DOD]Asprilla says, depends on the bike/budget. You can easily spend hundreds of £s on lights :)

Associate
I just bought this...

UltraFire WF-501B XM-LT6 5-Mode 510-Lumen Memory White LED for $18 from deal extreme.

sku_55241_1.jpg

It has a low power mode for around town (2%?! might be a bit more)... Still waiting on batteries though so I am yet to test it, but it should do the job for unlit roads too! You will also need a charger and mount. Paid another £6 for a back light. Total cost was £31!

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
From what I recall there are specific mudguards for the Defy, it would probably be easiest to go for those. Crud Roadracers or SKS Raceblades would most likely work fine with the clearances involved.

As for lights, I have a Cateye TL-LD610 attached to the back of my rack, and a Blackburn Mars 3.0 attached to my backpack. On the front I have a Cateye HL-EL135 just to help oncoming vehicles see me. It's not bright enough to light the road, but it's small and the battery lasts ages. If I'm going to cycle in the lanes in the dark, I attach one of my torches (usually a Fenix LD20) to the handlebar, so that I can see where I'm going. I doubt it's anywhere near as bright as the setup Jonny ///M has, though!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Fenix L2D on the front that I switch from headlight to strobe to torch, depending on the conditions and the state of the driver in front (seriously, you'll spot these drivers and they need added reminders you're in their vicinity). MARS 3 at the back and flashing dog collar on my backpack, which is surprisingly effective at adding scale. Multiple rear lights give drivers some kind of perspective. With just one they can find it difficult to judge how far away you are and how fast you're going. Similarly, at night, a very powerful front light dipped onto the road buys you a lot of space, because drivers can see the pool of light on the road and think you're a lot bigger than you are.

Back
Top Bottom