Best router to replace BT Smart Hub 6

Associate
You mean hiding the SSID? It's completely pointless.

i know anyone that wants to find it will be able to see it, but i just liked it to not see 1000's of wifi networks every time i went to connect.
After moving to plusnet i will say one thing for the HH6 at least it had gigabit ports and the ability to change DCHP setting's, a Vigor 130 and USG is looking really tempting now

Associate
Hey guys,
Just jumping in on this thread. I'm literally ready to smash my home hub 6 up. It drives me absolutely insane!! the wireless issues are absolutely horrendous. I get connectivity issues on smart TVs. Had a huge issue with my new epson 7750 printer refusing to work over wireless. Connected wired and it's sorted.

All i'm looking for is a good solution that has much better wireless range than my current home hub. Looking to pay around the £200 mark. Don't want anything that's too complicated to manage and setup.

I have about 20-25 wireless devices connected and approx 10 wired.

Also been looking at the nighthawk r7000/r8000 as I plug the phone socket lead directly into my home hub router,
https://ibb.co/j0CqQ8. So i'm going to need to get a modem first. Now this is where I get confused. Don't I need to work out what modem is in my local cabinet first before ordering one?

If so how can I do this please?
j0CqQ8

j0CqQ8

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Last edited:
Associate
If you don't mind separates, get an Openreach HG612 modem (match the chipset to your fibre cabinet type e.g. ECI or Huawei), a Ubiquiti USG router and a Ubiquiti AC LR. Should be around your budget.

For an all-in-one the Netgear Nighthawks are good.

Out of interest how would I work out what modem my cabinet is using? cheers.

Associate
Out of interest how would I work out what modem my cabinet is using? cheers.

The easiest way to tell is from the line stats on a router/modem that is able to display them. Failing that you'd have to locate your cabinet in the street, you can get the cabinet number from the BT wholesale checker and compare the design with this website:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

If you want to go the UniFi route, you'd need a HG612, USG, UniFi AP, switch and a cloudkey (optional).

Associate
The easiest way to tell is from the line stats on a router/modem that is able to display them. Failing that you'd have to locate your cabinet in the street, you can get the cabinet number from the BT wholesale checker and compare the design with this website:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

If you want to go the UniFi route, you'd need a HG612, USG, UniFi AP, switch and a cloudkey (optional).

Thanks, i've used the wholesale checker and it say on Exchange FORMBY is served by Cabinet 9.
Now i'm trying to work out how I can locate cabinet 9 in my area?

I know there's a big cabinet on the main road a few roads away from me, will this be marked in anyway with a 9?

This is the closest cabinet to my address approx 300 metres away...https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.564465,-3.057994,256.02h,-17.22p,2.87z

I can't see any numbers on it? The broadband site you linked says the modem is a hauwei 288 for the cabinet on street view.

Further reading suggests that the closest cabinet isn't always the one that you maybe using. Other users have said that It could be one up to 1km away :(. Cry why does everything have to be so complicated?

Last edited:
Associate
Ok took a gamble on the hg612 modem. Cost me £12 from fleabay. All the 37 cabinets in my area are Huawei ones and most of them appeared at the same time in 2012. So I know the one closest to me Is a hauwei 288. Hoping it works and I can get this router sorted :).

Associate
Can I just say a massive thank you guys!!

I'm fully up and running with a nice netgear R8000 and a HG612 modem, and I cannot believe how easy the whole affair was!

Absolutely astonished at how good the perfomance of this new router is. My whole network at home is now amazing, I can get wireless at the far reaches of the garden and in my garage!!

Soldato
The separate modem gives you more options. Is there a router that can act as a vpn server? Does the Ubiquiti stuff offer this?

I need to replace the HH6 with something that allows me access to my home network. I need to access devices on my network avoiding port forwarding to prevent these devices from having access to the internet if you know what I mean.

Associate
What does everyone think of the mesh kits? No good vs Ubiquiti APs? I have an R7000 which I use but my house has lots of Steels in and the signal degrades quickly.

Soldato
The separate modem gives you more options. Is there a router that can act as a vpn server? Does the Ubiquiti stuff offer this?
I need to replace the HH6 with something that allows me access to my home network. I need to access devices on my network avoiding port forwarding to prevent these devices from having access to the internet if you know what I mean.

If you run a separate modem then a MikroTik Hex (RB750Gr3) would do what you want. Great router, brilliant VPN server as it will hardware offload, can push 450Mb of encrypted traffic. Costs <£60

What does everyone think of the mesh kits? No good vs Ubiquiti APs? I have an R7000 which I use but my house has lots of Steels in and the signal degrades quickly.

Mesh is OK if you don't want cables, you use wireless to solve a the problem of wireless being an issue, kind of doesn't sit right with me. A UAP-Pro is perfect for most situations.

Associate
Thats handy as I think the loft is where the wife would allow it to be! Will look into that - just need to work out getting a wire to the router downstairs.

Back
Top Bottom