best RTS game out at the minute?

Soldato
Starcraft 2, if anyone fancies agame and around the bronze level to help me learn feel free to give me a shout.

I think i want to try this company of heroes. Looks like it has some great reviews.

Soldato
Company of Heroes + addons
Sins of A Solar Empire series
Dawn of War II series

In no particular order but they all have fantastic playability and longevity, it just depends on whether you prefer realistic or space fantasy.

Soldato
Rise of Nations is fantastic too, it's a little old but it's great fun in both singleplayer and multiplayer (it's essentially Age of Empires combined with Civilisation and Risk).

Soldato
Utterly overhyped, not a patch on Supreme Commmander

I've not played Supreme Commander so can't compare, but I can say, unequivocally, CoH is NOT over hyped!

It's fantastic. Looks great, sounds great, plays great. It's immersive, challenging, rewarding, replayable and exciting.

I don't think you'll find much support for that opinion mate.

Permabanned
Men of War + Assault Squad

MOW for the finest single player experience and Assault Squad for the finest multiplayer.

Don't bother with vietnam/condemned heroes for multiplayer but single player is strong.

Great games if you like tinkering with every detail.

Associate
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance .... way more depth and detail than Supreme Commander 2. Comparing SupCom1 to SupCom2 is comparing kiwifruit to apples.

Associate
But SupCom1 was never officially optimized for multi-core processors, it would just sit there maxing 1 core while the AI would slowly grind to a slideshow. IF they had managed to pull of the huge 8 player maps with 7 AI then i would agree its perfect :(

Last edited:
Associate
SupCom: Forged Alliance is amazing, probably the best RTS i've played. I also used to love playing the LOTR Battle for Middle earth series but they closed the servers a while back ;(

Associate
But SupCom1 was never officially optimized for multi-core processors, it would just sit there maxing 1 core while the AI would slowly grind to a slideshow. IF they had managed to pull of the huge 8 player maps with 7 AI then i would agree its perfect :(

Use Sorian AI mod and the +/- keys to speed up time. With Sorian AI as CPU opponents the speed is quite acceptable now.

Back
Top Bottom