Best savings account?

I keep contemplating moving my savings to a better rate account. But if I'd locked in 6-9 months ago as rates were starting to climb then you'd get stuck on a low interest account for whatever duration you signed up to. (yes I know you can bail with normally the loss of interest).

I imagine now the rates are at 3, we'll start to see new accounts close to that rate.
Yeah but there is also a loss from not acting and gaining lower interest in the meantime, how I do it is spread over a few fixes, 6/9/12 months through HL active savings, no need for opening new accounts or bank transfers that way, they do it all for you.

I opened a Marcus savings yesterday, took 5 mins and transferred in from a current account.

Note - you can only nominate one current account to transfer from into Marcus.

I have a chunk of cash to spend on home repairs that I can't do until next year. Would be too risky to put into even an index tracker, HSBC just opened an online bonus saver account which is full easy access (though reduced rate in months where you withdraw) and 3% up to 10k. Not bad.

I managed to get in with the Santander esaver at 2.75% £1 min and no real max (unless you have £2m) / no penalty for taking out either so was a no brainer - the offer closed pretty quickly but I'm sure they'll be more in the near future.

I managed to get in with the Santander esaver at 2.75% £1 min and no real max (unless you have £2m) / no penalty for taking out either so was a no brainer - the offer closed pretty quickly but I'm sure they'll be more in the near future.

I have one of these too. The BoE rate rise today though means I'll probably bounce it into a better paying account next month though :D

It might be better to wait a week. Next week we're likely to see some better offers.

A rate rise was almost certain today, but the banks would not have known if it was going to be 0.5 or 0.75. Some will likely have products ready to reflect the increase.

I don't think Chase will theirs again so soon though, but other players will be keen to compete.

It might be better to wait a week. Next week we're likely to see some better offers.

A rate rise was almost certain today, but the banks would not have known if it was going to be 0.5 or 0.75. Some will likely have products ready to reflect the increase.

I don't think Chase will theirs again so soon though, but other players will be keen to compete.

With Interest Rate at 2.25% before and Santander offered 2.7%...now the interest rate at 3%. I think a 3.5% to may be 4% savings account is not out of the question. Chase should go to at least 3% surely.

Last edited:
I have a chunk of cash to spend on home repairs that I can't do until next year. Would be too risky to put into even an index tracker, HSBC just opened an online bonus saver account which is full easy access (though reduced rate in months where you withdraw) and 3% up to 10k. Not bad.
I’m in the same boat. Have about 25k just sitting in a crappy low interest account, work won’t start for at least another 6months so I’m of a mind to move the most of it into a higher interest savings acc.

I'm the same, 20k in a basic almost zero interest Barclays saver just sat there. I hope to build it some more but will want to access it within 12 months I'm sure.

Fingers crossed for a decent rate on instant access soon. Where's the best place to be in the know about these things?

Back
Top Bottom