Best site for new domains?

Soldato
I don't really have much experience in this field but I want to register 2 domain names. Both the same but one .co.uk and one .com.

Which is the best and cheapest site to do this?

Cheers

:)

Cheers guys, another question.

I already have a website. All's I need to happen is when people browse to the new domains they'll be redirected to the existing website.

I know how to setup a redirection, however do I need to buy some sort of hosting aswell as the domain? Or does the hosting come with the domain?

Cheers

I need to buy some sort of hosting aswell as the domain? Or does the hosting come with the domain?

You can't host without a domain ofcourse but you can have a domain without hosting, you can buy just the domain from them or get one of their 3 hosting packages to go with it (in some cases they'll give you the domain free)

I was with Tsohost in the past and agree that they were fantastic. Quality support and their cloud platform was very fast as well. You can't go wrong with them.

I only moved because I wanted an unmanaged VPS.

I don't really have much experience in this field but I want to register 2 domain names. Both the same but one .co.uk and one .com.

Which is the best and cheapest site to do this?

Cheers

:)

Namecheap.com for US TLDs (.com's etc are around £5 per year) and 123-reg/1and1 are usually the cheapest for UK TLDs.

Although Tsohost and Vidahost offer great service, unfortunately neither of them are cheap when it comes to domains.
If however you were asking about hosting, then Tsohost and Vidahost would first two choices; as mentioned, great service and support.

Namecheap.com for US TLDs (.com's etc are around £5 per year) and 123-reg/1and1 are usually the cheapest for UK TLDs.

Although Tsohost and Vidahost offer great service, unfortunately neither of them are cheap when it comes to domains.
If however you were asking about hosting, then Tsohost and Vidahost would first two choices; as mentioned, great service and support.

They are good with vouchercodes.

The US providers have the advantage of not needing to charge 20% VAT and absorb currency conversion fees as everything is billed in USD :(

But for .uk it's closer:

123-reg: £6.98 +VAT for 2 years
Vidahost: £5.58 +VAT for 2 years
1&1: (first domain special offer) £0.99 +VAT first year, £2.99 +VAT/year thereafter

Both TSO and Vida are small companies. Sure, host your website with them, but it's much more sensible (and safer) to go with a large company (godaddy etc) for your domains.

If you buy domains with a small company you're taking a risk (your domains will belong to tso/vida, not you... so if something happens to the company...)

Last edited:
Sure, host your website with them, but it's much more sensible (and safer) to go with a large company (godaddy etc) for your domains.
No company is without issues of course but it doesn't really make a huge difference where a domain is bought from so long as it's in your name, because the governing bodies / registries are often straightforward to contact should you run into an issue with your registrar.

It does vary by TLD though. eg, for .uk domains, Nominet are usually very helpful.

I have never really had an issue with the domains I have with Godaddy, apart from their godawful slow interface. Their old one was fine!

For .com domains, it can sometimes be harder, eg if the supplier is an ICANN member as you don't have anyone to turn to easily, whereas if, for example, the company uses Opensrs (which, by the way, 123-reg do, same as many other, smaller, companies!), there's an entire end-user management area. Of course a misbehaving ICANN member is rare, because it's very expensive and demanding to even join.

If you buy domains with a small company you're taking a risk (your domains will belong to tso/vida, not you... so if something happens to the company...)
This is categorically untrue. The legalities alone of owning someone else's domain would be enough to put anyone sensible off doing that.

I had an issue once with a domain which was mistakenly in my name (well, e-mail address I think) - the site put up some content to which an individual took exception and I found a nasty legal letter in my inbox!

Back
Top Bottom