Best SSD

Associate
Hey all,

I do design work so often writing to SSD with temp files while working.... which ends up being quite a short life (2years or so!)

I just need a 1-2tb SSD for running system... but what is best one/ make these days (space is not a issue as have tower PC)... just want reliable...

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with a PCIE 5.0 SSD currently (your system also needs to support PCIE 5.0)
These are far too expensive currently in comparison to a high-end PCIE 4.0 SSD and don't offer significant advantages unless your temp file writes are single large-files that are 10s of GB
For random small-file writes there isn't any significant difference

For high-end SSDs with a DRAM cache, the usual suspects are (in no particular order):
Samsung 990 pro
WD SN850X
Crucial T500
Seagate Firecuda 530
SK hynix Platinum P41 / Solidigm SSD P44 PRO
Kingston Fury Renegade
Adata XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE

I would go with any on the list, whichever is cheapest on the day

Last edited:
so I currently have always bought SATA... which is what I have always bought so wondering is to change?.

Are M.2 as good? never used one before except on a server to speed up write...

Nowadays M.2 are (relatively) faster because they use the PCIE interface
Again, your mobo needs to support it natively, or you can get an add-in card to put into a PCIE slot on the mobo

Last edited:
What SATA SSDs have you bought previously?

There's a fair difference in durability/endurance between say a cheap TLC (or god forbid QLC) drive and used enterprise grade drives (even if they are older) like Intel DC S3700 (10 DWPD - Drive Writes Per Day)

Intel Optane drives whilst discontinued also have even better Endurance with the DC P5800X drive boasting 100 DWPD!

currently have a samsung 860evo but MOBO can support M.2

Before that had multiple Seagates... will never buy one again!

Last edited:
GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming

ah, that's a PCIE 3.0 motherboard so it'll run at half the max speed of the fastest PCIE 4.0 drives I listed above
the random read/writes won't max out the interface so no biggies though
(random read/writes are more important than outright max sequential speeds for small size temp files)

ok thats
ah, that's a PCIE 3.0 motherboard so it'll run at half the max speed of the fastest PCIE 4.0 drives I listed above
the random read/writes won't max out the interface so no biggies though
(random read/writes are more important than outright max sequential speeds for small size temp files)
Ok that interesting...

I also have a second PC that I mainly just use for rendering which has a 10th gen chip in
board is Gigabyte H410M...

The GA-Z270X has a i7-7700k but has 2x 2080s so have never had a problem with doing the work...
Currently tho getting blue screen of death every few hours which I think is a bad sector on HD

Given that the similar prices of Gen3 and Gen4 drives, just go Gen4 .

Crucial T500 looks to be the cheapest on here for a drive with DRAM cache.

Why dont you run a surface scan to confirm that?

Tbh, if you've been fine with sata 3 speeds, youd be more than fine with pcie 3.0 speeds (pci3 max speed is 6x sata3 speeds)
I run a scan and it does say 0 bad blocks....
however on event viewer every time it crashes it says:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

but what is best one/ make these days (space is not a issue as have tower PC)... just want reliable...
I do design work so often writing to SSD with temp files while working.... which ends up being quite a short life (2years or so!)
I'd say there's really no point trying to buy a reliable SSD, just get the cheapest TLC one with decent endurance and hammer it, while having a regular backup routine. They can all randomly up and die or develop bad flash.

If your usage is that heavy, you might want to look into doing something differently, e.g. using a ram drive as a scratch disk.

I run a scan and it does say 0 bad blocks....
however on event viewer every time it crashes it says:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
is it a ssd or hdd?
and not teaching you how to suck eggs, have you unmounted the drive?

if it's a hdd:
open cmd or powershell as administrator
type in chkdsk d: /x/f/r
(d can be replaced by whatever drive letter it is)

if it's a ssd:
download crystaldiskinfo and see the stats

Last edited:
When you decide which drive you want, buy the biggest one you can afford. Larger drive sizes come with larger TBW figures, meaning a 1TB drive should last almost twice as long as a 2TB drive.

If you're going to be hammering the drive for long periods of time and buy an NVME drive (which I'd recommend), either buy a drive with a heatsink or buy a heatsink to go with the drive. This will help to reduce thermal throttling and keep the speeds up for longer.

When you decide which drive you want, buy the biggest one you can afford. Larger drive sizes come with larger TBW figures, meaning a 1TB drive should last almost twice as long as a 2TB drive.

If you're going to be hammering the drive for long periods of time and buy an NVME drive (which I'd recommend), either buy a drive with a heatsink or buy a heatsink to go with the drive. This will help to reduce thermal throttling and keep the speeds up for longer.

I wouldn't mind 4TB, but they're just too expensive.

Probably best idea to have a 2TB, then regular platter HDD for price/capacity, play games on the 2TB that need a SSD, and other games where speed isn't essential on the regular HDD.

Or once you've completed the game move from SSD to HDD, move the game you will be playing from HDD to SSD.

Back
Top Bottom