Best thermal paste and cleaner for changing hsf with

Soldato
At the mo i have a 3500+ with arctic freezer 64 pro. Im thinking of changing the cpu to a opteron 170 or if im skint ill just get a 3800+ and oc it like hell if i can.

Now the freezer 64pro uses mx-1 paste which has been good. But can i buy more of it or can you only get it when buying a new f64pro? Or is there better, tho my understanding it was on par with artic silver 5 paste but without the gluyness part.

Supose im askin can i get more mx-1 paste if so then cool if not whats the best non superglue type paste can i get. Stuff that doesnt make the hsf stick to the cpu when you want to take it off like the artic silver 5 stuff does i hear.

Also whats the cheapest best way to clean the heatsink etc for when using new paste. Hoping something maybe in the house i can use but want some ideas. As personally i think that isotrobal or whatever its called is just over overkill since ** just cleaning a little bit of paste off somit.

Soldato
Yeah you can get MX-1 paste in a tube seperately if you needed more of it. Also with regards to cleaning the heatsink, I tend to use Isophrophyl. But you can use other stuff like meths / Vodka or any high alcholol % spirit.

Soldato
Which paste are you referring to, is it the MX-1? When it says it hardens, it doesn't mean its like the AS Thermal Epoxy. I read somewhere it is just where the solvent or whatever liquid is used evaporates so that the paste becomes a solid rather than a semi liquid.

Soldato
BlackDragon said:
Which paste are you referring to, is it the MX-1? When it says it hardens, it doesn't mean its like the AS Thermal Epoxy. I read somewhere it is just where the solvent or whatever liquid is used evaporates so that the paste becomes a solid rather than a semi liquid.

yeah i was thanks for clearing :) that up i might give it a try.

Associate
I've always used Clean and Clear deep cleansing lotion for spot free skin...

no seriously, it's cheap, works brilliantly and smells nice ^_^

NB: as cleaner not paste ;) (if you're asking, Arctic Silver 5)

Soldato
I do it now the same way as i was taught to apply AS5. Just apply a blob in the middle (maybe the shape of a bit of rice). I think you can apply more than you would with AS5. Put your CPU cooler on and give it a few twists both ways to get it to spread, then fix the CPU cooler in place.

Thats how i did it with my Noctua U12F :D

Soldato
OP
dunker said:
so how do you apply mx-1 on a core2? same method as as5 (line down the middle) or just spread it even and thick all over?

NOT the Jacob billing way thats for sure (think thats the youtube guys name).

When i apply some mx-1 im going to do 4 very thing small lines from side to side and keep away from edges if i can i think that should work well. As i dont trust the pea blob in center method.

Associate
i just use bog roll and elbow-grease

takes 30 seconds of polishing to clean heatsinks, a few mins to do cpu - wipe off excess, then pollish

thats with AS Ceramique. use the blob method and a "suitably sized" ammount of mounting force. running naked core, you generaly end up with basically no compound left in contact area and a kind of wall of it arround the edge. afterall, its there to fill in gaps, not the whole area.

as for sticking of AS - i find lifting 1 side up first helps for easy removal.

Back
Top Bottom