Best to learn?

Associate
Hi, I'm 17 and I really want to start being able to learn programming and was wondering what you think is best to learn first and perhaps where you learnt it or any tips would be great :)
As of right now I know HTML and CSS.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Soldato
Just out of curiosity how do you go about self teaching yourself HTML and CSS I would love to be able to create web pages seems like a fun hobby.

Soldato
w3schools used be a terrible place to learn anything, full of errors and bad practice. Codeacademy is good for absolute beginners, covering everything from HTML to Python.

Soldato
O I didn't know that :(.

It's worked ok for me :confused: admittedly I've only been into it in the last 7-8 months.

Hopefully it's changed or I've mainly learnt flawed practises. I don't like relying on the "well it works doesn't it" mentality.

Last edited:
Associate
It depends what you want to do - but for general purpose (and as something which will scale into serious projects) - python. (not that javascript will do any harm either ...)

A good first course for Python is the Headfirst Python book which takes you from "hello world" to a simple Android app in around 12 chapters. A chapter a day would give you a good base in under two weeks.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Hi, I'm 17 and I really want to start being able to learn programming and was wondering what you think is best to learn first and perhaps where you learnt it or any tips would be great :)
As of right now I know HTML and CSS.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Could you provide us with any less information?

What are your interests? Why have you decided that you "really want" to learn programming (is there something you want to accomplish, a project that you have an idea for, or are you trying to get into a career in software development)? What do you actually think programming is? (Hint: HTML and CSS are not programming languages.)

Seriously. As you can see, there are plenty of people here who are willing to offer advice, but giving us a little more to go on would be useful.

Soldato
NO! BAD MYNIGHT! BAD!

W3schools is a terrible site. Not only are they trading off the name of the W3C, who have no involvement with them, but the information on the site is often outdated and sometimes just plain wrong. See here for more info: http://w3fools.com

As stated, Codecademy is the best place to learn HTML and CSS these days. CSS tricks also has some nice tutorials and guides too.

Caporegime
Not sure where this hate for w3schools is coming from. When I've used it as a reference the information has been correct.

Perhaps one of you guys slating it will care to cite some inaccuracies?

Soldato
Not sure where this hate for w3schools is coming from. When I've used it as a reference the information has been correct.

Perhaps one of you guys slating it will care to cite some inaccuracies?

W3Fools, which was made by a huge number of respected industry people, used to list tons and tons of innacuracies. Apparently w3schools has managed to sort them out over the last 5 or 6 years though.

Still, there are much better places out there to learn from.

Caporegime
W3Fools, which was made by a huge number of respected industry people, used to list tons and tons of innacuracies. Apparently w3schools has managed to sort them out over the last 5 or 6 years though.

Still, there are much better places out there to learn from.

So they've worked hard to improve and develop their site. Something that ought to be commended.

I know from experience people are quick to judge and condemn, and negative reputations tend to stick around long after they are no longer justified.

In the case of w3schools, as said, I've used it a lot and continue to use it as a reference resource. I can't say anything bad about it.

Soldato
well if you are sticking with web technologies then the JavaScript, JQuery, Bootstrap et al route is probably easiest.

I would probably also suggest you learn a server side language as well eg php, Ruby, Node, MVC and maybe a client side framework like Knockout, Angular.

It really all depends on what floats your boat and if you are looking to pursue this as a career then learning a server side technology is a must and is down to personal preference. I'm a Microsoft person myself so I would say c#.

As for JavaScript resources I can't recommend Jon Duckett's JavaScript and JQuery book enough. It has helped me so much over the past couple of months and is really easy to follow the concepts, language and features and is well laid out and presented.

Soldato
So they've worked hard to improve and develop their site. Something that ought to be commended.

I know from experience people are quick to judge and condemn, and negative reputations tend to stick around long after they are no longer justified.

In the case of w3schools, as said, I've used it a lot and continue to use it as a reference resource. I can't say anything bad about it.

It took other people to point out their mistakes, which they then ignored for many years.

They only bothered to fix them after a huge number of important industry people started to publicly rebuke them, which started to have an impact on their advertising income.

They've also tried to capitalise on the good name of the W3C and even though W3C has asked them multiple times to disaffiliate themselves, they refuse to do so.

I'll admit that I'm happy to see that they've finally started cleaning up all their inaccuracies, but with so many GREAT resources out there, I'd much rather support a site that wasn't okay with knowingly spreading false information until it started to effect the money they earn.

Back
Top Bottom