Best to learn?

Associate
Depends on what you want to do.

Learn general concepts, techniques and algorithms then apply them using a language of your choice.

Programming is 90% working out how to solve the problem and 10% writing it down.

Soldato
NO! BAD MYNIGHT! BAD!

You sound like my ex :D.

I always thought they were the same entity. Didn't realise they were miss associating themselves :(.

I had no idea it was so bad :(. I better start checking out code academy make sure I haven't picked up any bad practises.

Soldato
In the case of w3schools, as said, I've used it a lot and continue to use it as a reference resource. I can't say anything bad about it.

If you want a decent reference then:

http://www.webplatform.org/

is infinitely better than w3schools. Plus the tutorials for beginners are well written and informative.

Mozilla Hacks is also good:

https://hacks.mozilla.org/

it has useful information on the latest standards.

Associate
It depends what you want to do - but for general purpose (and as something which will scale into serious projects) - python. (not that javascript will do any harm either ...)

A good first course for Python is the Headfirst Python book which takes you from "hello world" to a simple Android app in around 12 chapters. A chapter a day would give you a good base in under two weeks.

Python - LOL

it's a dead language now with the power and range of the Node ecosystem - there's no reason to learn it at all.

Soldato
Python - LOL

it's a dead language now with the power and range of the Node ecosystem - there's no reason to learn it at all.

Heh. Anyone claiming Python is dead is either deluded or uninformed.

Node isn't a silver bullet. JavaScript has its problems along with just about every other language out there. The rule of thumb is pick the best language for any given task. There are some things that JavaScript / Node is completely unsuitable for that Python is really quite good at.

Anyway you should always learn more than one programming language. Knowing only JavaScript is going to limit what you are able to do as a developer. A good programmer knows lots of languages that can be used for various purposes.

Back
Top Bottom