Best way to ask for a pay review?

Associate
Basically I'm looking for some advice on the best way to request an adhoc pay review.

Background.
My employer uses a standard end of year review process to offer pay rises. However We had a small restructure at work in November 2016 and my team grew from 8 to 12 direct reports. I also took over the day to day relationship of 3 suppliers. As part of the restructure I received a 3k pay rise without asking. This was in addition to the 2016 end of year pay review I received.

Fast forward to now and I've suggested some improvements within the business which will potentially mean my direct reports will increase to 17-19, plus the day to day relationship of 7 suppliers. I've also recommended a change in process as part of this 'new restructure' which has the potential to make the business £1-1.2 million in additional revenue per year with minimal additional costs.

Given the fact the business have been quiet this time round regarding my pay, what is the best way to ask for a pay review without coming across as a self important so and so?

Caporegime
just ask for it, it is something managers deal with all the time

e-mail to request a meeting then give your justifications as per above... they don't have to say yes - in the event that they come back to you declining to pay more then push now for a larger rise at your end of year review, set objectives you'll aim to meet/exceed etc..etc.. If you're brining in additional revenue then there aren't many acceptable excuses they can give you to not pay you more

the other thing I'd do anyway, even if you're not looking, is to keep your linked in profile up to date and start talking to recruiters/attending interviews every so often - IMO any employee ought to do this on a semi regular basis even if not looking. It is a good idea to know how much you're worth and how easy it would be for you to find a new role.

Caporegime
i have a relative who has a very well paying job. when he worked on the directors board of one of the biggest and well known companies in the UK ( possibly even the world) he had a meeting with his peers which basically went like this.

i've been here only 6 months and i've brought your company it's biggest deal in it's history ever (it was worth billions i think 5 billion in total). tomorrow i expect a pay rise or you can expect my resignation.

he went on to work there for a few more years after that day before making a move to something even better.

i'm not advocating you do the same but it is something you could do if you really are worth it. i know my relative would have walked into a better job easily enough as he would be desirable to any company within that field.

he got a substantial bonus and wage rise. it took balls to do what he did though but his argument was so strong they couldn't say no.

Soldato
I agree with above - if you've made a significant improvement/increase to your business - then go armed with that information and prove your worth.

however - reading your opening post, the fact they use a specific end of year review for pay rises is likely to be your answer - I suspect despite what you say, they will wait till your year end review before discussing a review.

Back
Top Bottom