Best way to cook a joint of beef for Sunday roast?

Soldato
As above really... Love some hot horse radish with it...

Got garden carrots and small spuds to go with it..

Would like a nice tend piece of meat once cooked..

Gas oven, any good advice people?

Many thanks

Mart

Soldato
English?

Cook long and slow.? I'm new to electric fans ovens to still trying to get used to it you see

i see

i sealed mine but frying it in a very hot pan a very short while on each side, then

i experimented by smothering mustard all over the outside of the beef before i put it in the oven

cooking time is down to weight, but my 1,4 kg roast i cooked for about 1hour 40 mins on about 160/170 in a fan oven, and turned it upa bit for the last 15 mins

basting is spooning the juices from the bottom and covering over the meat. i did it every 20 mins or so

i also put a few onions in with it to give some flavour to the juices and meat which i then used for the gravy

Last edited:
Soldato
It all depends on the individual and the joint to be cooked. Personally, I love cooking a good Brisket slowly in some beef stock and red wine, You can cook it all day and gas mark 2-3 and it literally falls apart with a sharp knife.

I serve it with Fresh Carrots and a Cheesy/Garlic mash with Roasties. They complement the brisket beautifully.

I sometimes go for topside. I make a baste of butter fried shallots with the slightest hint of garlic. Small cup of beef stock and a glass of Shiraz. Again I slow cook this.

I am not a big fan of Beef that is covered in Mustard or other marinades.

@ OP, you could always roast the small spuds with a bit of Rosemary.

Soldato
OP
My mouth is watering already...

OK so onions, i'll grab them from the village shop in the morning...

Thanks for the tops ;)

Will report back tomorrow evening..

EDIT: thanks loki some nice idea's there too...

Last edited:
Associate
No need to apologise :) Not everyone knows how to cook everything or buys the best bits (the cheaper cuts are quite often the best when cooked right IMO ;))

Silverside, IMO, needs slow and moist cooking. One of my less favourite cuts to cook, but can still come out as a great Sunday roast.

I'd cook it @ 200 for 20 mins (well seasoned). Then add a few onions & carrots to the tray, with a glass (or 2) of red wine, cover with foil, turn oven down to ~ 140 and cook for a few hours (depends on weight of joint). Serve with horseradish (I only serve this with brisket and silverside).

Soldato
I did beef today. Slow cooked, 2 1/2 hours at 160. The joint was cheap and just said 'roasting joint' so not sure if it was brisket or plate.

I sat it on a bed of onions and garlic then gave it a sprinkling of salt and pepper. No oil or searing. 1/2 hour resting time.

It turned out quite nice, not at all chewy and full of flavour.

Sunday.jpg

Back
Top Bottom