best way to downsize?

Associate
Hi,

just need a little help deciding what to do with my current rig as i need to downsize the case due to lack of space. (baby no.2 on way)

i currently have;

Xigmatek Asgard Black, Mid Tower case
i5-2500k
Corsair Air A50 CPU Cooler
Corsair CX600
ASUS P8P67,
Asus R9-280X direct CU ii
1 ssd hdd
1 hdd
1 sound card

ideally i want to keep mostly same components just get a smaller case but dont know if its possible, can anyone recommend me with a smaller case or maybe a new smaller mobo / case that will play nice with what i already have. (cpu cooler and gfx card are huge) Also i dont want to spend more than £100, ideally much less than that

Thanks for any help!

Associate
Well your case is 185(W) x 475(D) x 408(H) which is already quite small for a normal ATX case. To get really small you'd have to change your motherboard to a Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX model, which might be hard to find new as it's an older socket.

As for cases that would take your current motherboard, the NZXT Source 340 is a little wider and taller but less deep at 200(W) x 432(D) x 445(H), but doesn't take optical drives.

Associate
I have three kids, I orginally did a full ATX system in a Silverstone Lascala LC13 on a hi fi rack. Then the HTPC/gaming system in a Silverstone Grandia GD02 on the unit under the TV, and had then
went down the dinky Silverstone TJ08B-E route, but I replaced that with a Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL, it sits in the same space my TJ08 sat.

I decided there really is no logic in buying a smaller case if it sits in a specific spot or floor space, unless you intend putting it in a cubby hole, or under a shelf, or plan on taking a circular saw along your desk and sitting your keyboard on your knee. And there is NO point using any case with fans smaller than 120mm and all cases should have dust filters.

A Silverstone GD09 with a wireless keyboard and mouse would work under the TV or on a HiFi rack. It takes a regular ATX motherboard, but would it take your system?

Why do you need a smaller case, are you shrinking yourself and a corner of the house?

Last edited:
Soldato
Downsizing to save space? I have to agree with sastusbulbas, in that you are much better off getting smarter about where locate it rather than the size of the case. If the reason was financial I'd understand.

Can you show a picture of why you need more space? Are you planning on putting the baby on the desk or something?

Back
Top Bottom