1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to make a Windows app?

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Cromulent, May 4, 2018.

1. Cromulent

Wise Guy

I want to make a Windows desktop app, but I'm somewhat confused about the options.

I could do the following:
    • .NET Forms app
    • .NET WPF app
    • C++ Win32 app
    • Universal Windows Platform app
    • Java and JavaFX app
    • Python and GTK+ app
    I'm leaning towards making a UWP app since then I can have a free version in the Windows store and then have in-app purchases, and Windows 10 will only get more popular as time goes on so getting on the bandwagon now seems like a reasonable idea.

Having said that though the Java and Python options work on multiple platforms. I'm not sure how important that is seeing as the app I want to develop is for a game which so far is only coming out for Windows.

I also feel like learning to make UWP apps will let me do more in the future if I come up with any new ideas.

2. jsmoke

Suspended

What are your current programming skills?

3. Cromulent

Wise Guy

Python, C, JavaScript and a bit of C++.

4. FredFlint

Wise Guy

I find .Net Forms using c# to be the easiest to work with but Forms might not be the best for a game though. If you have used c++, c# should be no problem.

5. Cromulent

Wise Guy

Oh, it isn't a game. Just a tool to manage data gathered from a game. It'll be like a pretty frontend to a database.

6. planty

Wise Guy

Out of that list I would choose WPF but I don't know much about UWP so that could be a better option. If you've done any web development you could also try Electron.

7. iKettles

Wise Guy

8. Cromulent

Wise Guy

Damn it. JavaScript is taking over the world although I guess if I did it in Typescript it wouldn't be too bad. I'll have to see if Jetbrains Webstorm supports electron.

Thanks for the link.

9. iKettles

Wise Guy

It sure is, almost the entire stack at the company I work for is built on Typescript/NodeJS. You should take a look at Visual Studio Code (also built with electron), with a few plugins it plays very nice with Typescript projects.

10. Russinating

Capodecina

Electron looks really interesting. Shame I'll probably never have a need to make a desktop app over a web app!

11. howler

Wise Guy

It seems that there is less and less of a need for desktop apps these days, everything is a web app / could based

as a desktop dev I need to get my skills up together on web applications