Best Way to Remove a Rounded Screw

Soldato
Basically....help!

The screw on my engine cover is rounded and I need to remove it to get to the brake fluid reservoir. I dont have a dremel but I have a drill and plenty of drill bits. I have never removed a rounded screw and dont want to "screw" (sorry) it up. I dont need the engine cover as its just a cheap Renault one, but I would prefer not to break it! Thanks.

Soldato
OP
-westy- said:
as above, just get a hacksaw and cut a new slot in the top if it. unless its sitting flush...in which case just drill it out :)

what would happen when I drill it out? If the drill bit is big enough I presume it will just fall apart?

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
I was just thinking that if you were able to get to it to cut a slot as others have suggested, then you would likely have enough access to simply molegrip it out.

Might be a matter of breaking the engine cover or drilling it then mate :/

Will try the mole grip idea but there is literally 2mm max of the head showing. If not then I will try the hacksaw option. If not, then the drill will have to come out.

Soldato
OP
Bear said:
Depending if you can actualy get to it, I normally use a pair of side cutters. Just grip the screw head and twist, it nearly always works unless the screw is really corroded in.

Side cutters?

My dad has pretty much every tool (except a dremel!) and I have found some screw extractors (drill bits) so Im just charging the drill up now.

Soldato
OP
Done it.

Didnt break the engine cover but scratched it up quite badly. I ended up getting a chisel and hammering it into the head until a nice groove had been cut so I could fit a wide flat head screwdriver into it.

Back
Top Bottom