Best Way to Remove a Rounded Screw

Soldato
Basically....help!

The screw on my engine cover is rounded and I need to remove it to get to the brake fluid reservoir. I dont have a dremel but I have a drill and plenty of drill bits. I have never removed a rounded screw and dont want to "screw" (sorry) it up. I dont need the engine cover as its just a cheap Renault one, but I would prefer not to break it! Thanks.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
May sound obvious, but can you not get to the screw in such a way as you could just turn it with some molegrips?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
panthro said:
No unfortunately not :(

I was just thinking that if you were able to get to it to cut a slot as others have suggested, then you would likely have enough access to simply molegrip it out.

Might be a matter of breaking the engine cover or drilling it then mate :/

Soldato
OP
-westy- said:
as above, just get a hacksaw and cut a new slot in the top if it. unless its sitting flush...in which case just drill it out :)

what would happen when I drill it out? If the drill bit is big enough I presume it will just fall apart?

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
I was just thinking that if you were able to get to it to cut a slot as others have suggested, then you would likely have enough access to simply molegrip it out.

Might be a matter of breaking the engine cover or drilling it then mate :/

Will try the mole grip idea but there is literally 2mm max of the head showing. If not then I will try the hacksaw option. If not, then the drill will have to come out.

Soldato
panthro said:
what would happen when I drill it out? If the drill bit is big enough I presume it will just fall apart?

In theory yes, it should just crumble....The trick is not to damage the thread though that your new screw will go into :o

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Take out another one the same, to see how big the shaft of the screw is. Then pick a bit that will be slightly smaller than the actual shaft of the screw (not the threads). Then drill down the knackered screw carefully.

Alternatively go for a bigger bit and drill out the whole lot if the screw is non critical :)

Soldato
Depending if you can actualy get to it, I normally use a pair of side cutters. Just grip the screw head and twist, it nearly always works unless the screw is really corroded in.

Soldato
OP
Bear said:
Depending if you can actualy get to it, I normally use a pair of side cutters. Just grip the screw head and twist, it nearly always works unless the screw is really corroded in.

Side cutters?

My dad has pretty much every tool (except a dremel!) and I have found some screw extractors (drill bits) so Im just charging the drill up now.

Associate
panthro said:
Side cutters?
p1140910_l.jpg

there ya go

Permabanned
Choose a drill bit that's the same size or slightly bigger than the shaft of the bolt and drill the head off. Then take the cover off and lock your molegrips onto the shaft as tight as you can and unscrew it. Then replace all the bolts with Allen bolts for next time. :)

Back
Top Bottom