Best way to rust proof fuel tank

Soldato
I have had a brand new replacement fuel tank delivered, to be fitted this weekend. It's been zinc coated and sprayed silver and I wondered if there was a product I could use to prevent it rusting in the future? Any ideas? Cheers

Soldato
You ask for the "best" way, which would probably be to strip off the current paint and abrade the zinc coating. Then apply a couple of coats of epoxy primer, then a good coating of Upol Raptor or similar heavy duty 2K product.

That would be way way overboard though, and it'll probably rust from inside out long before that, so something like a spray on underseal or under body coating like schutz would be more appropriate.

Man of Honour
Get a plastic tank, will be lighter too.
Fuel tanks for road cars generally aren't universal items, so it's not always straightforward to get a plastic one. They aren't always lighter either, plastic tanks are significantly thicker than steel ones and weigh a fair bit in my experience.

Soldato
OP
Okies - thanks for the ideas. It's a 55 litre tank for my '92 Scirocco that I am planing on keeping for many years. My '94 Corrado has a plastic tank, but I don't think you can get plastic ones for the MKII Scirocco/MKI Golf. Even if you can, it's too late as I've already bought a metal one!

Associate
In my experience of 90s cars, mainly they will rust from stone chips through the protective coating

I agree with undersealing it with Schutz or Gravitex coating the underside

..... also as a side note you might find when you drop the tank there isn't any under-seal above it, worth checking and putting some there if there isn't any

hux

hux

Soldato
Por 15, internal tank sealant.
Externally the usual rust proofing sprays, the bigger rusting problem comes internally.

Could look at using expoy sprays, or even powdercoating.

Back
Top Bottom