Best WiFi range extender?

Soldato
Friend of mine is struggling with their internet due to having to relocate the router and phone lines. Basically now they get poor connection to the PC as it is on the other side of the house in a little cubbyhole. As a result the signal passes though 2 or 3 9" Walls or through 2 glass doors no where near.
Was thinking a range extender through one door would create a nice L shape for the signal pass as it would be largely unrestricted.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

Can anyone recommend one?

Soldato
OP
If it's a solution just for the PC, I would prefer to use homeplugs to make a wired connection over a WiFi repeater.

I don't think it would solve the issue as it would need to be next to the PC for Ethernet and power. Would still have the same interference unless they are much stronger? Do they work as one at the PC and one at the WiFi router?

Soldato
You need at least two powerline adapters. You'd have one plugged into the router and one plugged in next to the device you want to connect. They then send the single over the mains wiring. You can add additional units if you have more than one location you want to connect from.

The best solution would be to run an Ethernet cable either internally or externally. If that isn't an option I'd also prefer Powerline over range extenders.

Soldato
OP
You need at least two powerline adapters. You'd have one plugged into the router and one plugged in next to the device you want to connect. They then send the single over the mains wiring. You can add additional units if you have more than one location you want to connect from.

The best solution would be to run an Ethernet cable either internally or externally. If that isn't an option I'd also prefer Powerline over range extenders.

That sounds kinda what I'm after. Obviously hardwired is better but not possible.

Soldato
What router does he have? If it was the newer BT Smart Hub 2 for instance, I was gonna suggest might be worth looking at their WiFi disc system. I just installed one for in laws last week and I was surprised how well it worked.

If he can't run Cat6 then look at powerlines as mentioned. If you want cheap and cheerful get something like the TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT for pure wired.

If he needs WiFi signal still for other things at other end of the house, might be worth investing in a mesh WiFi kit like the TP-Link Deco M4 for £99.

Back
Top Bottom