Better than Philips SHP9500 for £100?

Soldato
Hey there, looking to get some new headphones, particularly for gaming use, but general desktop/light music use too.

Have been recommended Philips SHP9500 by a friend and tried them out, pretty happy with them but they are at least 3 years old now so I'm left wondering is there anything newer and considered better for a £150 budget?

I'd actually be more interested in something closed back that I could use in the office occasionally too and presumably closed back would be better for gaming to prevent external noises.

Edit: Upping the budget to £150!

I don't have a DAC/Sound card and don't plan on getting one either tbh :)

DT 770 PRO (80 ohm) ? Anything else to consider?

Soldato
AKG K550 MK2 / MK3.

I much prefer them over the DT's and there is also a good reason why they keep winning What Hi-Fi awards every year for at least the last 3.

MK3 has a removable cable but apart from that is the same.

Soldato
Worth noting the K550 isn't a good choice if you wear glasses. They need a good seal otherwise you'll get anemic bass, and glasses will break that seal; otherwise a good choice.

Soldato
presumably closed back would be better for gaming to prevent external noises.
Except for muffling noises of noisy environment closed designs are worser for gaming than good open ones.
It pretty much makes headphones incapable to big soundstage.
And above neutral bass is very hard to balance and it starts to easily overwhelm other details of game sounds.
(open headphones can have good bass impact without it instantly drowning details)
Assuming you like having some strength in bass.

Unless liking "in left ear-in center of head-in right ear" immersion of stereo headphone gaming needs binaural-simulation.
Start at 13 minutes:

Worth noting the K550 isn't a good choice if you wear glasses. They need a good seal otherwise you'll get anemic bass, and glasses will break that seal; otherwise a good choice.
AKG's 700-serie ear pads seem rather firm so those could also be comfort question.
Head band may look really anorexic, but it's made of thick steel wire and has clamping force.

Soldato
OP
Appreciate the advice, thanks a lot guys.

Will check out the suggested ones! I think I'll probably get a second set of closed back for office/public use too in that case :)

Back
Top Bottom