• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Better than Ray Tracing - UE5 Lumen.

Associate
This is a stunning demo, but the one thing that seems a bit off is the shadow on the left handrail at about 1:37. It just seems a touch...off. Am I the only one that got fixated on that? Might just be a specsavers moment...

Associate
This is a stunning demo, but the one thing that seems a bit off is the shadow on the left handrail at about 1:37. It just seems a touch...off. Am I the only one that got fixated on that? Might just be a specsavers moment...

Ha thats all I can see now!!, Also shouldn't the large vertical pipe/pole also be casting a strong shadow in a similar position ?

Man of Honour

Possibly the flashlight isn't using the Lumen renderer and casting shadows the old way and/or using the wrong type of light emission as it seems to be sun like linear projection much stronger than you'd get from a flashlight.

Associate
From the angle of the torch, it looks like the torch is above the bar, therefore shadow should be almost lower than the bar? Not trying to be down on the demo, it's pretty spectacular!

Soldato
30-50 according to the article. Not bad considering the visuals Looks pretty much like real life.

Read the video description on YouTube from the creator, he says the video is not real time that's why it's 30fps or w/e it's been pre rendered. He says if he tries to run it real-time it's 7fps at 1440p

Caporegime
Engines always tend to look good with demo's like this, it's one thing to do a demo showing what it CAN do. It's another thing entirely to make an actual game and have the visual fidelity be anywhere near what that lumen demo shows.

That's probably taking all the horse power possible for a small scene, we're still years off that being possible in an actual game, unfortunately.

Soldato
Engines always tend to look good with demo's like this, it's one thing to do a demo showing what it CAN do. It's another thing entirely to make an actual game and have the visual fidelity be anywhere near what that lumen demo shows.

That's probably taking all the horse power possible for a small scene, we're still years off that being possible in an actual game, unfortunately.
Yes but won't the nanite thing mean that developers can literally aim that high and our PCs will just scale accordingly with LOD? Especially if/when Direct Storage happens

Caporegime
Yes but won't the nanite thing mean that developers can literally aim that high and our PCs will just scale accordingly with LOD? Especially if/when Direct Storage happens

Dunno, for a game it's probably not practical as the info on it says it's very low frame rate real time, and that's just rendering a single scene in a demo with things like the cpu not being touched for ai for characters etc.

I can't picture something like this being in an fps anytime soon, looks good for demo purposes but imo a long way off being practical in an actual game.

Associate
I can't picture something like this being in an fps anytime soon, looks good for demo purposes but imo a long way off being practical in an actual game.
I remember years ago reading a review of final fantasy 8 and seeing the statement that in the future, games could look as good as the cut scenes and thinking "wow.... No chance!"

Always think of that when seeing tech demos - like you, I think it's probably a long way off, but a combination of time and improved upscaling could get results sooner than we think.

Caporegime
I remember years ago reading a review of final fantasy 8 and seeing the statement that in the future, games could look as good as the cut scenes and thinking "wow.... No chance!"

Always think of that when seeing tech demos - like you, I think it's probably a long way off, but a combination of time and improved upscaling could get results sooner than we think.

New engines with some hype usually always have very impressive demo's, but that's generally as far as they get because virtually all the system power is being used to generate these scenes leaving nothing for anything else to be done. They're impressive yeah but how long until an actual playable game with that level of fidelity, physics, lighting etc actually appears?

Just always seems to be the case that the demo's are always amazing but the actual games built off it are the usual incremental upgrade because they have all the limitations of using it for an actual game, whereas the demo is just designed to push everything to the max and isn't any way representative of something that could be done in a game.

Associate
Totally agree. I used the FF 8 example just because it stuck in my memory of what was once considered fanciful became reality. It took a long time, but games did get to that level.

Incremental upgrades are the only way to get there. Though thinking about it, I'm wondering what the unreal engine 4 tech demos were like, if we ever got close to the theoretical best.

Soldato
New engines with some hype usually always have very impressive demo's, but that's generally as far as they get because virtually all the system power is being used to generate these scenes leaving nothing for anything else to be done. They're impressive yeah but how long until an actual playable game with that level of fidelity, physics, lighting etc actually appears?

Just always seems to be the case that the demo's are always amazing but the actual games built off it are the usual incremental upgrade because they have all the limitations of using it for an actual game, whereas the demo is just designed to push everything to the max and isn't any way representative of something that could be done in a game.

If Nanite works at is advertised, the problem of polygons and messing around with LODs kinda fades away so the argument of high quality assets for demo purposes goes away.
If you look at the latest Red Faction games, you'll find some physics which are not that common now (taking away BF prebaked destruction there isn't really another game like that). With bigger, more powerful CPUs we could do a lot more, as Red Faction was done XBXO360 area of consoles if I'm not mistaken.
AI? Well... the same. Plenty of times the CPU is unused or some stuff can be done on the GPU side.

Back
Top Bottom