Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved?

Soldato
When I was on my own I used to think that and to an extent it's true but now I'm in love and it's superb being with her and her family and I'll always have those great memories what ever happens and I can thank her for that if the time ever sadly comes, which it won't I certainly hope! Heh.

' Taullulah, it's easier to live alone than fear the time it's over'

Associate
“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”

Caporegime
“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”

Accomplished prose, but enough of that pathetic emo drivel. Any man that lets themselves be affected in that way by a woman is no man in my eyes!

Associate
definatley worth it! me and my ex-girlfriend broke up 2nd January this year and we where together for 11 months, which isnt a great length of time but we were 100% in love and all that jazz, broke up for whatever reason. But it was worth it and id do it all over again! got to do and experience so much.

Associate
This is something that I've thought about ever since splitting from my gf and where my conclusion is no it is not in my case.

Soldato
Yes, but how you remember it will be down to how the break-up goes and how she acts afterwards.

It definitely teaches you a lot, and your next break-up won't be as emotionally draining or upsetting. It still smarts, but you get better at bouncing back and insulating yourself. What's worse is when you've got a nice hurtful ex who adds you back on Facebook just to let you know she's doing great with her new bf. Over a year after you broke up. Nice.

Soldato
Yes it is.

I've only ever had one super serious relationship (that lasted more than 6 months). Still remember all the good parts, forgotten the bad. Was a mess for a long time afterwards but it was the best period of my life.

Soldato
It sounds like a load of overrated garbage. I knew someone once who always used to go on about love and how great it is or something. Many times did I wish to rip his throat out.

Man of Honour
Of course yes - love is awesome.

Oh and I'm predicting the boohoo emo comments will come flying in soon :D

It sounds like a load of overrated garbage. I knew someone once who always used to go on about love and how great it is or something. Many times did I wish to rip his throat out.

There we go :p

Love is a feeling of immense joy (at least when in a relationship), saying that it's overrated is like saying happiness is overrated. I hope that one day you have an experience that changes your mind.

Don
It's probably the best feeling in the world, but when it goes wrong it's also one of the very worst.

However, you will remember the good times and smile (I do), so it's very much worth it and for me, the cliché is true.

Soldato
Yeah, I'd say so. I've been in 3 long term relationships, actually in my third now, and still not sure if I've fully experienced 'love'.

First girlfriend I thought was love, but looking back, I was just infatuated with her becasue she was my first gf, lost my virginity to her, all that jazz, and when we broke up, it was the most heart wrenching thing ever.
I got over her my getting a new girlfriend a month later, which started from a 1 night stand who I just happened to meet up with again lol. I think we were in love for a short while, but then just grew apart, especially when I left to join the Army, but that wasn't as upsetting, we're still mates now 4 years after breaking up.

Current girlfriend, been on and on for around a year now, and I wouldn't say we're fully in love, but the ground work is there for us to build on, just depends whether or not I get posted to Germany in the next 10 months or so, that will decide where the relationship is going.

First love is always the worst afterwards, because you simply don't know how to cope. After that it generally gets easier I'd say.

Soldato

Love is a feeling of immense joy (at least when in a relationship), saying that it's overrated is like saying happiness is overrated. I hope that one day you have an experience that changes your mind.

Happiness is overrated though, it never lasts. False happiness is the worst. :p

/emo :)

Soldato

:p

Nah, I just look at my parent's relationship and remember never to repeat it, plus a relationship for me is unviable at the moment. Having kids is a mistake I'll never make either.

Permabanned
It's not worth it if you only quite like maybe love a girl and she demands you stop seeing your mates, going to the pub, cinema, and demands you spend all night every night cuddling her and watching Holby city rather than doing stuff like PC gaming ...

er .. I imagine!

Back
Top Bottom