Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Soldato
These interest me even though I probably already have enough headphones (All Beyer too >.<) but thought others might be interested. I keep seeing reviews like this one:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/11/14/review-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-headphone

They seem to be very good for money and the slider really seems to work well :) Anyone else considering these? Aimed at portable devices like phones etc but would be a half decent solution for computers too I guess :)

Soldato
Interesting. IT might work, but can see it as a bit of gimmick reallly. I think most people would just set the slider and leave it. Maybe I am wrong, I am turning into a bit of cynic in my old age :)

Soldato
OP
Well all the reviews I've seen seem to confirm it isn't a gimmick as it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Tis a pretty simple concept really as it's like all those DIY headphone mods that involve drilling/making holes except the process is reversible :) Also having headphones which can be both open and then closed for some isolation seems like a rather good idea.

They obviousl'y won't be anywhere near as good as my T1s but then again they're a fraction of the price lol

Associate
I was thinking about getting a pair, I quite like the idea of having the cable swapped out with some kind of cable / mic option but until I see what options they are going to provide, I'm holding off.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the cable with builtin mic seems like an interesting option too :) can make calls with it whilst you've got it plugged in to your phone etc and use em on your PC when you get home. This is assuming the mic is of a relatively decent quality but Beyer make some good stuff so there's no reason to think why it wouldn't be.

Associate
I just hope the cable with mic option has a mute button of some kind. I really wish they had an inline on on the MMX-300. :mad:

Soldato
Yeah the cable with builtin mic seems like an interesting option too :) can make calls with it whilst you've got it plugged in to your phone etc and use em on your PC when you get home. This is assuming the mic is of a relatively decent quality but Beyer make some good stuff so there's no reason to think why it wouldn't be.

They don't make good mics though :(

I would love to hear what these headphones sound like in their various stages. Definitely showing a little more interest in them the more I read. Might be a nice little xmas present to myself :)

Aha, a little more reading and I am finding out even more, looks like these won't be the xmas pressie after all!! A lot of really differing opinions about these. Some people hate them, some people love them, but even the people who love them say that they aren't as good as the DT770's.

Not a gimmick then but would I buy these over the DT770's at the same price? hmmm, not sure I would.

So back to dreaming for me, unless someone can find me a pair of HE400's or HE500's going really cheaply :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just hope the cable with mic option has a mute button of some kind. I really wish they had an inline on on the MMX-300. :mad:

Why? :p Push to talk is the way ahead so unless you're using your MMX 300 with a console then you need to configure your Mumble/Vent/TS appropriately :p

Soldato
OP
They don't make good mics though :(

I would love to hear what these headphones sound like in their various stages. Definitely showing a little more interest in them the more I read. Might be a nice little xmas present to myself :)

Aha, a little more reading and I am finding out even more, looks like these won't be the xmas pressie after all!! A lot of really differing opinions about these. Some people hate them, some people love them, but even the people who love them say that they aren't as good as the DT770's.

Not a gimmick then but would I buy these over the DT770's at the same price? hmmm, not sure I would.

So back to dreaming for me, unless someone can find me a pair of HE400's or HE500's going really cheaply :D

Beyer don't make good mics? You sure? lol

I don't really see these as a replacement for DT 770s although I don't see them being too far in quality but I guess the fact they're designed to be powered by mobile devices must result in a few comprimises when you start comparing them to headphones designed for studios.

Soldato
Beyer don't make good mics? You sure? lol

I don't really see these as a replacement for DT 770s although I don't see them being too far in quality but I guess the fact they're designed to be powered by mobile devices must result in a few comprimises when you start comparing them to headphones designed for studios.

Yeah, well, maybe they don't make good mics that go with headphones :) It was one of the biggest complaints about the MMX 300 headset, the mic was really, really poor. I am sure they probably make some brilliant studio mics etc.

And I understand this is a sort of portable headphone but the very fact they are designed to be used at home as well means that they are going to be compared to the DT770 and other headphones in that price range.

Soldato
OP
I find the mic on my MMX 300 pretty good really. It did develop a fault over a period of time which caused random noise/buzzing when using it but this was fixed under warranty about a year after I got it. These days I use the MMX 300 on my desk purely for the mic as I tend to leave my T1s plugged in and it still gets my voice quite nicely despite the 40-50cm distance.

I haven't really seen any negative reviews of the sound of these but I've only read the 2-3 I've happened to come across. It'll be interesting to see how popular they get as time goes on :)

Back
Top Bottom