Bicycle handlebars won't tighten fully

Soldato
Hi all,

Got a bike that was taken apart a bit to clean up and service a bit. Now when it is all fitted back, if you apply the front brake and rock the bike forwards and back, you can see the whole part where the handlebars join the fork section is loose / wobbling despite screw at the top of the handlebar being tight

Anyone know a possible fix?

Hopefully the explanation made sense

Thanks!

Soldato
If it's headset, loosen the two bolts that are horizontol, then tigthen the top cap bolt SLIGHTLY literally finger tight with your pinkie strength then tighten the two horzintol bolts to 6nm.

The top cap is only a bearing puller not fixing the stem to the bar. If you've over tigthened the top cap you've probably damaged the star fangled nut/bolt. It's not even to 1nm.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys... Didn't know we had a proper sub forum :)

Colleague currently on the phone so can't listen to that video but will check it out in a bit... seems to have the info I need in it to fix the problem, providing there is nothing damaged

Not the bike in question, but just a random pic online... it is neither of the red parts that are loose... from what I remember it is the yellow part that is loose

EVQpS9F.jpg

Soldato
then it's the headset, if there's play in that you need do what I said. The two bolts on the left, then slightly tigthen top cap till there's no play in the forks. Finger tight only.

Soldato
Thanks guys... Didn't know we had a proper sub forum :)

Colleague currently on the phone so can't listen to that video but will check it out in a bit... seems to have the info I need in it to fix the problem, providing there is nothing damaged

Not the bike in question, but just a random pic online... it is neither of the red parts that are loose... from what I remember it is the yellow part that is loose

it is squirrelled away :D

if the yellow bit is loose the vid will help :)

Soldato
OP
That's perfect, just watched it, seems very simple :D My Dad was going to drop it off with the local cycle shop guy but thought I'd check here first (after a quick google) and I'm glad I did :D

Will give this a go next time I have a moment, probably Tuesday

Thanks for the offer @Dis86, East Anglia though unfortunately

Hopefully nothing has been over tightened / damaged :) Which I assume is possible if you try to tighten the top cap one too much while the horizontal bolts are still tight? Not sure what my Dad tried so far.

Associate
If it's the yellow part it's still very likely the top cap. As said loosen pinch bolts on the stem, tighten the cap, then tighten pinch bolts again.

Edit: Yes, attempting to tighten the cap with the pinch bolts still tight will do nothing to help the issue. So the tendency is to keep trying to tighten the top cap, which will usually end in mashing the screw head!

Soldato
OP
If it's the yellow part it's still very likely the top cap. As said loosen pinch bolts on the stem, tighten the cap, then tighten pinch bolts again.
Don't have one of those torque wrenches unfortunately... only got one that came with a set of car roof racks and unfortunately it doesn't have such a 'range' of settings on it, only the one I think that was important for the roof racks

Will have to just judge it by hand

Associate
Don't have one of those torque wrenches unfortunately... only got one that came with a set of car roof racks and unfortunately it doesn't have such a 'range' of settings on it, only the one I think that was important for the roof racks

Will have to just judge it by hand

Top cap doesn't need to be that tight at all. For the pinch bolts use a tool with quite a short handle to limit the torque you can apply, and you can't go too wrong. A multi tool for example, is so small that you can't really apply enough torque to strip threads unless you're hulk.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Top cap doesn't need to be that tight at all. For the pinch bolts use a tool with quite a short handle to limit the toque you can apply, and you can't go too wrong. A multi tool for example, is so small that you can't really apply enough torque to strip threads unless you're hulk.
Ha :D Cool will give it a shot on Tuesday most likely and report back here!

Thanks all :)

Associate
You will need to stand on the bike between your legs while clamping the brakes down to do the checking. You can turn the wheel to find any rocking or odd movement underneath your hands. If you find unusual movements, loosen the side bolts and tighten the top bolt until the situation improves.

Back
Top Bottom