Biennial MOT tests

Something to bear in mind for you JLR owners when getting an MOT..

5eBgOJL.png

That's a special notice from the DVSA that testers have to acknowledge before they can continue testing, although I guess most don't even bother reading them :rolleyes:

Shock not doing much with it's oil on the outside, and slightly bulged tyre (the other side was the same)..

1AGJUsr.png

fmzNVoz.jpg

Different car
Slightly worn tyre and pads down to the metal..

aLmakRs.jpg

MqyAaMT.jpg

The customer had just bought this 306 without an MOT and I couldn't get it stop stalling while trying to test it.
So I had a quick look to see what the problem was..

9GiSjFn.jpg

No way I was touching that, but advised him to go look at some YouTube vid's of how to properly join the wires, and he came back in and it passed.

I’ll bite
Yeah the mot is too strict.

Should be one test every 5 years.

And that right there is the most stupid thing I’ll see on the internet today (that includes Twitter).
So by your logic (if I can call it that) me failing the above cars was too strict, and the above cars should have been allowed to carry on being used in that state for a few more years?
Still, with eejits with your attitude on the road it does explain why some people let their cars get in the state they do.

Last edited:
Some more bulgy tyres (same car, and both front)..

v2Dd6Me.jpg

PMJMUXk.jpg

and the other side..

NQf4VHE.jpg

I had a look at the inside of the tyres when they were removed and there's signs of them being run under inflated, which I assume has caused them to go the way they have.

I did 9 MOTs today, and the only car that passed was a 1988 VW Polo!

Last edited:
same car ?
failed twice on the same tyre

does he not understand SAFETY ?
Same car, both front tyres were bulged.
There were 2 child seats fitted as well!
I wonder how many drivers actually check the inner sidewall of their tyres?
I know people check the outer sidewall because I see plenty of cuts and flaps of rubber (from kerb/pothole damage) super glued to hide exposed cords (like that’s going to make it safe again :rolleyes: ).

I’d hope they’ll contact the DVSA to inspect the vehicle and speak the tester who passed it and ban him from testing for life.
If that happens he’ll get possible jail time, it’s quite common.

Some more daftness..

Speed sensor wires greased (why?)..

S0vv2qz.png

Outer sheath of handbrake cables greased (why?)..

RSyZoEK.png

Anthing but covering the actual brake pipes in grease (they failed due to corrosion).

Typical Clio (not a failure).
I could have snapped in half any of that with little effort..

yxraxwW.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how someone has managed to route the brake hose like that, but it isn't good, and won't be long until it's worn through..

JA6tFIy.png

And this slightly crash damaged Kia.
The OSR trailing arm (how it should look)..

oenlUI2.jpg

and the slightly bent NSR arm.
It must have been interesting to drive the car like that, just look at the wear on the tyre..

fVw6Kjx.jpg

And finally a slighty worn brake disc.
Which passed the efficiency test (it's not hard to), but failed on condition..

mf3ZISi.jpg

Mental.

None whatsoever, no reason to.
I’ve been on enough training courses with Toyota/Lexus to know that it’s almost impossible to harm yourself when working on them.
The only difference MOT wise is there’s no emissions test (same goes for hybrids).

Advisories do wind me up a bit because I can advise a tyre with 1.8mm on it which by the time the customer has done a short journey will be illegal, but people just look at the pass certificate and don’t worry until next years test.
Same with tyres that are completely bald on the edges and the cords are about to come through, I have to pass and advise.
Drives me potty.

Back
Top Bottom