Big bargain banger or not? Would you

Soldato
None of that changes my point though, if your temp work finishes and you could be doing with moving the car on again it'll be much easier to get similar money back for a more common car than it will for a 166

Soldato
Do it! Sounds like your eyes are open, you're under no misconceptions, and you could fix things yourself. £900 is bail-if-it-goes-seriously-pear-shaped money. Not really much to lose, so if you fancy taking a chance on it, why not? I've had a 164 and a GTV, albeit both briefly, and both were no trouble. Loved the 164 especially with the old 12 valve 3 litre. Like you say shame that's not a 3 litre, but the 2.5s are nice too.

Soldato
You can get Peugeot 406 coupes in auto guise and they're not that uncommon. Italian styled and built and all, so half Italian to suit your wife.:D You know, just saying. Not that I'm biased because I picked one up myself or anything. :p

Although the 166 is quite nice...

Soldato
Bought my 166 for about £800 . Bit of an impulse buy as fancied summit different (and love Alfas)
Nicley made.. comfortable .. great noise . I had the steptronic and the box is not known for giving issues .
Lots of toys and i loved the car !
Common issues are cam belts snapping and taking 24v out (happened on mine with a 3.5k bill to the previous owner) and fast wear rear suspension components which give very interesting handling traits .
You can throw it about but its a big car .
Biggest issue was fuel . I only use the car for work and back (8 miles each way) and i was putting over £200 a month in it compared to my mondeo which does it for £70 . Best i ever seen was 31mpg at 65 on cruise on a1 at 2am . mostly it was low teens .

If you can keep it in fuel go for it . Only issue i had was a split hose near the expansion bottle.. Nothing else failed or fell off in a year of ownership

5044301213_00b308c12c_b.jpg

5044301773_df4ce4cebb_b.jpg

5044301899_c889981f41_b.jpg

Soldato
OP
Bought my 166 for about £800 . Bit of an impulse buy as fancied summit different (and love Alfas)
Nicley made.. comfortable .. great noise . I had the steptronic and the box is not known for giving issues .
Lots of toys and i loved the car !
Common issues are cam belts snapping and taking 24v out (happened on mine with a 3.5k bill to the previous owner) and fast wear rear suspension components which give very interesting handling traits .
You can throw it about but its a big car .
Biggest issue was fuel . I only use the car for work and back (8 miles each way) and i was putting over £200 a month in it compared to my mondeo which does it for £70 . Best i ever seen was 31mpg at 65 on cruise on a1 at 2am . mostly it was low teens .

If you can keep it in fuel go for it . Only issue i had was a split hose near the expansion bottle.. Nothing else failed or fell off in a year of ownership

5044301213_00b308c12c_b.jpg

5044301773_df4ce4cebb_b.jpg

5044301899_c889981f41_b.jpg

They are a lot of car for the money. I prefer the colour of yours.

When you look at them they are 3 or 4 owner Mondeo with patchy history money for what the one I am looking at, a virtually one owner car.

Like I have said throughout the thread. Fuel isn't so much of an issue as it will have no regular journey to do.

Probably the first time in my life I can say that.

Plus my partner is half Italian, half Romanian and she really wants an Italian car.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be honest it just is the engine cc that is putting me off. It will no doubt have a bit of poke, however am I gonna feel robbed at the petrol station by having a car of 2.5l 190BHP but the fuel consumption is near enough of the 3.0l 220bhp.

But on the other side is the amazing condition it is in.

Caporegime
To be honest it just is the engine cc that is putting me off. It will no doubt have a bit of poke, however am I gonna feel robbed at the petrol station by having a car of 2.5l 190BHP but the fuel consumption is near enough of the 3.0l 220bhp.

But on the other side is the amazing condition it is in.

How many miles a year will you do in it? If its 20k, then obviously the fuel consumption is going to be an issue/heavy expense. If it is a few 1000, then no worries.

Soldato
The start of the thread gave the impression you needed a car for your new temping job. But now it's just for the wife to do a few miles in? Makes it even less appealing tbh.

yeah get her a cheap little run around, don't see the point of getting that car for school runs

or get the car, you seem to have decided before you posted as whatever anyone says you still come up with more reasons to get it so were wasting our time really lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom