Big Typhoon & Asus P5WD2 Weird Mod Thought

Associate
I'm having some issues with heat build up on the CPU while under Full load. A seperate thread details the over clock, but basically due to temps I can't go any higher than 3.6 on a PenD 805.

I'm thinking that the Stack Cool technology that transmits heat through the motherboard to the backside of the board is being seriously hampered by the cushion, mylar and metal brace that is fitted to the back of the board. Normal Intel coolers, although they suck, do not hamper or obscure the back of the board in any way which is what Asus has probably designed for.

What Im thinking of doing is removing the cushion, mylar and metal brace entirely. Then using some rubber washers to push the Screws directly through the motherboard with no brace at the back.

Obviously, the BigT is a big cooler, so my first thought is 'is it going to put too much weight directly on the motherboard without the brace' ?

Secondly, 'is it going to be worth it' ? Can anyone see this kind of mod helping my temperatures ?

I'd really like some thoughts from people who have aftermarket coolers on this board and suggestions on the above two questions.

Thanks for the Help,

Arthalen

Associate
I dont have that board but the cooler would be too heavy unless you found someother way to support it, I didnt get on with the BT at all, did you stick the bracket to the motherboard as instucted in the manual?

Associate
Good luck getting it off then, I broke my AA8XE trying to get the bracket off, I sat there for an hour with a hair-dryer trying to loosen the glue :(

I complained to ThermalTake and they say they are changing the instructions, I cant believe I done tbh, I was just doing what the instructions said.

Pulled loads of solder from the bottem of the board :mad:

Associate
OP
Agr3sive said:
Good luck getting it off then, I broke my AA8XE trying to get the bracket off, I sat there for an hour with a hair-dryer trying to loosen the glue :(

I complained to ThermalTake and they say they are changing the instructions, I cant believe I done tbh, I was just doing what the instructions said.

Pulled loads of solder from the bottem of the board :mad:

I feel for you. Anyone have any Idea's for actually removing a BigT ???

Agr3sive: IF I get it removed without damaging the board, and get it support ... could it work ???

Associate
OP
Agr3sive said:
I guess so but im unsure to what temps gains it would give, how would you support it?

Good question - perhaps some sort of custom brack that fits over a set of rubber washers, rather than the giant cushion the thing has at the moment. At least there would be space between it and the motherbaord then.

* Ponders *

I'm gonna go google about and see what I can turn up.

Back
Top Bottom