Bike cleaning: any tips?

Soldato
I don't clean my bike as often as I should, although I keep the chain fairly regularly cleaned / lubed.

I went out and got some more muc-off (used this before on push-bikes - good stuff), and just went and did a bit of a hose / muc-off / rub / hose on the bike. It looks cleaner, but now there's some annoying swirly bits on the paintwork. In short, I don't really know what I'm doing!

So, if anyone's got any tips about what they use to clean their bikes, including cloths, sponges, getting in the niggly bits etc, it'd be good to hear. I'm looking to sell it soon, so it'd be nice to see it go nice and clean.

Soldato
Use a mitt instead of a sponge to stop the swirly bits appearing, it's just where grit's getting rubbed round the paint. A mitt will swallow up the grit instead of pushing it around. Second bucket for rinsing will help too.

Also use a seperate sponge/brush/mitt for dirty bits, do the actual paintwork with a fresh mitt, fresh water, clean bucket. I use brushes on swingarm/wheels etc because they're always manked up, then fresh one for the paint. I use exterior trim gunk on mirrors/indicators, all the black bits basically.

You can polish the swirls out with polish or swirl removing polish if they're bad.

A lot of stuff in the car cleaning thread is relevant for bikes as well :)

Soldato
WD40 to clean wheels - I've never had issues with it affecting paint, and it cuts through all the crap :D

Edit: WD40 can also clean most other metal areas, I wouldn't use it o nthe chain though, for that I use a degreaser, then a hose pipe, followed by chain cleaner and a rag.

Soldato
OP
Ah, I'll check out the car cleaning thread. Didn't know about that one.

The biggest issue I've had is what to use to do the actual polishing. From the looks of things, I'll get a couple of mitts - one for paint and another for dirty bits.

Tea Drinker
Don
Try Muckoff stuff from motorbike / mountain shops great stuff, also oxford sell various brushes that fit niggly areas where a sponge / mitt won't, also look at an after spray to repel water and future muck and make it easier to clean off

No jet washes unless you want to wash the grease out of bearings and you want electrical problems

Soldato
You cant let the Muc Off dry, which isnt easy when its very warm.

All I do is hose down, apply Muc Off, wipe with a clean towel, hose down, dry with a clean towel. Once dry use Mr Sheen on panels with a micro fibre cloth. Wheels are also cleaned with Muc Off.

Doesnt take very long and keeps the bikes quite clean imo, plus the Mr Sheen coat gives a layer of protection so its easier to clean next time.

Soldato
OP
You cant let the Muc Off dry, which isnt easy when its very warm.

All I do is hose down, apply Muc Off, wipe with a clean towel, hose down, dry with a clean towel. Once dry use Mr Sheen on panels with a micro fibre cloth. Wheels are also cleaned with Muc Off.

Doesnt take very long and keeps the bikes quite clean imo, plus the Mr Sheen coat gives a layer of protection so its easier to clean next time.

Do you keep the same towels just for the bike? I imagine they'd get pretty grubby.

And I did clean it in the boiling heat, so the mucoff dried quickly. I'll give it another hose down tomorrow and see how I get on.

Soldato
I have a few towels used for the bike just after I apply Muc Off and a few other ones for when I dry it. They dont get all that bad, I just chuck them in the wash every month or so. They're only cheap Poundland ones, although I have better ones for drying since the cheap ones dont absorb anything!

Associate
I always found using kitchen towel soaked in warm water with some washing up liquid was the best way to remove dead bugs. just soak the towel and lay over the desired area and leave for about 15 mins, also excellent for cleaning your visor!
Also fairy power spray is a great way to clean grease and oil marks from wheels, chain gaurds and trailing arms etc.
Give the bike a good wash with a mitt and a descent wash and wax shampoo, then i always used to use household polish to give it a nice shine, just avoid your seat and grips because they become very slippery.
Also baby oil on any exposed frame work or other metal parts, helps to hide minor scratches and gives a shiny gloss finish.

Tea Drinker
Don
Also fairy power spray is a great way to clean grease and oil marks from wheels, chain gaurds and trailing arms etc.

Also baby oil on any exposed frame work or other metal parts, helps to hide minor scratches and gives a shiny gloss finish.

No on the baby powder and yes very much so on the baby oil

Any powder will have a very slight cutting effect, use WD40 to get chain grease off, although I can't use WD40 on blued guns as it wears the blueing off

Baby oil is great for stainless steel and any metal finish, we use it on lift fronts and handrails when we hand building over :)

Back
Top Bottom