Bikers Youtube thread

Soldato
Schaff knows how to ride, but I think he rides too fast for the road sometimes. I think he will come unstuck one day when he meets an unexpected hazard that is un-sighted and he is going too fast to stop for/avoid. He is normally quite honest about mistakes he makes (Running into opposing lane on a hairpin due to a brake lock up f.ex) but when I watch his videos there are plenty of sphincter squeezing moments which go uncommented.

Soldato
Considering it's all posted on youtube for anyone to see/save/use against him he rides like a d**k, he'll get caught out sooner or later.

I don't ride like a saint, but then I don't post my riding all over the interwebs

Soldato
He does sighting runs on a lot of his videos so he knows where dirty/wet areas are. The cb500 isn't that powerful, he's actually not going that fast in most of his videos :D he's all about corner speed.

He doesn't ride like a dick, he's just a very good rider and has been riding the same cb500 for years and knows it's limits. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'd say doing sighting runs increases your risk as much as it decreases. It gives the mindset of "Yup, that corner is dry, with good surface condition and free of any debris/lubricants/obstructions" when in reality ANYTHING can happen between your sighting and actually hitting the stretch of road.

Sighting laps on track make sense as it is a highly controlled environment. Sighting is for track layout, braking zones, corner entry points etc etc. You cannot sight for a deer in the road, a broken down car, pedestrians, cyclists and all manner of other uncontrollable things!

I don't think he rides like a dick, that MaxWrist tool does. But his corner speed and lean angle on some corners with little or no visibility will present an issue eventually. The bike and himself can clearly handle the speed, lean angle etc - but that doesn't mean it's safe.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
After nearly hitting a tractor and my front slipping out at stupid speed, I prefer to go a bit slower and leave a reserve. Although, I live in the UK where most roads are bumpy af, the roads he rides most of the time look smooth and the bends don't narrow down midway. He's been riding that CB for over 9 years! :eek:

Soldato
I'd say doing sighting runs increases your risk as much as it decreases. It gives the mindset of "Yup, that corner is dry, with good surface condition and free of any debris/lubricants/obstructions" when in reality ANYTHING can happen between your sighting and actually hitting the stretch of road.

Sighting laps on track make sense as it is a highly controlled environment. Sighting is for track layout, braking zones, corner entry points etc etc. You cannot sight for a deer in the road, a broken down car, pedestrians, cyclists and all manner of other uncontrollable things!

I don't think he rides like a ****, that MaxWrist tool does. But his corner speed and lean angle on some corners with little or no visibility will present an issue eventually. The bike and himself can clearly handle the speed, lean angle etc - but that doesn't mean it's safe.
Agreed, the fear of what could be round a blind bend is what stops me going faster/leaning more for me, bends with good visibility then it's great but blind bends i just don't have the balls to fly round at 60mph +...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Agreed, the fear of what could be round a blind bend is what stops me going faster/leaning more for me, bends with good visibility then it's great but blind bends i just don't have the balls to fly round at 60mph +...
One of my friends did a few trackdays, open pit ones I think is what they're called. She said its only like 25 quid for the day, I'll need to look into that. Might take the SV just to find out how awfully slow I am on it. :p

Soldato
Open pit just means you can come and go as you like. As mentioned above 'Normal' track days are broken down into Novice, Intermediate and Fast groups, the better ones move people about if they've got in the wrong group.

Open pitlane can be tricky as you could be out there with people of a very different pace to you. I think they are normally more expensive, I'd be very surprised if you find one at £25, usually £100+ depending on the track. Well, be sure to let us all know if you do!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Its a test for those summer warriors that sit in 1 piece race suit in traffic, everytime there's a sunny day with 20c+ I see them. No filtering, on country roads they're slow af, only open it up a bit on a straight. :o

Caporegime
There are a fair few factors not taken in to consideration in that video (which don't have to be), most notable as you guys say the airflow of the helmet, the flow through the helmet and the fact that it'll be moving at considerable speed most of the time. That said, heat soak is real and I suspect that spending a day with a white helmet and then a day with a black one will make a noticeable difference.

It's rather similar to the whole white car in hot climates thing, if you look in most places with hot climates, most of the cars are white. South Africa, Australia, Dubai, etc. This is because of heat soak. Obviously cars spend long hours in the sun which doesn't help matters but when you've burned your hands on a hot steering wheel on more than one occasion the white paint really does help.

Soldato

I did used to ride on the limit, with no margin for error, I am not talking about doing 186mph everywhere as top speed is easy any idiot can do it but I used to take some of the corners like it was the TT.... and look where that got me.... full of metal and a knee that is going to be buggered for the rest of my life.... BUT I am now a safer rider for it, corners I used to fly around my mind now thinks what if there is something around that corner, can I stop etc... it just took a serious accident to realise that, but I imagine if I was a 21 year old again and on a sportsbike I would probably do it all again :o:eek::p

Soldato
Open pit just means you can come and go as you like. As mentioned above 'Normal' track days are broken down into Novice, Intermediate and Fast groups, the better ones move people about if they've got in the wrong group.

Open pitlane can be tricky as you could be out there with people of a very different pace to you. I think they are normally more expensive, I'd be very surprised if you find one at £25, usually £100+ depending on the track. Well, be sure to let us all know if you do!

Yeah they definitely aren't £25, Maybe ones where you can pay £25 for a session? lol, most open pit lanes in the summer are easily +£200.

Soldato
I've just watched his video again, does he lean too much for some corners? They don't even rate as a corner or bend but he's leaning it right over.

Man of Honour
He doesn't lean off the bike. It's intentional to get the angles in the video, he made a video discussing it once.

He also intentionally makes the video look faster with filters and low frame rates. Smart chap actually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom