Biltong

Soldato
I liked jerky but the only shop around here that doesn't sell just those packets of wild west jerky is unreliable at stocking it.

Then I looked up biltong. Mooched through a few sites.

Settled on The Chichester Biltong Company.

Then noticed you get free shipping if you spend £50...

Which is why I have 2kg of assorted biltong and four copies of south african newspapers which it was wrapped in in case I want to catch up with the news in south africa which ironically seems to be a lot about what's happening in the UK.

tmpbs.jpg

Much nomming ahead, made a start at the top left :p

Dunno about the fat in biltong. This stuff is all medium (dryness) with fat, if I order more I might try some dry without fat.

Soldato
Make yourself a Biltong box, it will save you a whole load of cash.
Mine's chugging away with my new batch already :D

On a side note, try Ostrich Biltong - super dry, with Zero fat. It's the leanest meat you can eat and it's delicious.

Soldato
OP
Don't think I'm that sold to invest in a box yet.

Actually the fat doesn't bother me. Unless it's piece which is almost entirely a wodge of fat with some meat hanging on.

Gristle to be expected in biltong? Don't recall any in jerky I've bought. A difference in cuts and preparation or what?

Soldato
Hotwired, you mentioned you weren't sure about the fat on the biltong. How has that worked out? If I ordered, I would probably go for the medium with fat just like you did. I don't really want something too dry.

Had some amazing biltong in South Africa when I visited a few years ago. Had some Springbok, I think I tried some Kudu and standard beef. Chilli bites were awesome too but way fiery. :)

Soldato
OP
The fat isn't bad really.

Melts away when you chew, nice in a way, the meat also melts away, in a way and you're left with the gristly stuff.

Also, what madman thought it would be awesome to have dried meat soaked in chilli. It's not initially that hot but chewing it over and over and over in your mouth does bump it up quite a lot.

Garlic and original is nice and nommable. Chilli I'll get back to later when I've forgotten how much it can burn. Peri peri I'll get round to later :)

Soldato
Tip: take a couple pieces of biltong and put them on a plate and in the microwave for 20sec. Really enhances the flavour. Next time you make a pizza put some on that too. Nomnomnom.

Man of Honour
I just picked up a big batch of silverside and I'm making jerky and biltong using (a slightly modified version of) The Blue's techniques. Should be able to try the jerky close to midnight and the biltong in a few days or so :)

Soldato
Hmm, droewors.
Unsure sometimes which I prefer more - droewors or biltong.

Not tried to make my own yet, as I've still not quite mastered making biltong juuust the way I like it.

Back
Top Bottom