BIOS Update (bricking it lol)

Soldato
hey guys,

i just updated my BIOS manually...(file onto USB stick, and then using the BIOS utility to update), I have a Asus Strix B550-F Gaming motherboard, and the BIOS I updated from was mid 2022 :eek:.

The latest was April this year, but I have noticed no difference really all-round? Is there anything specific? Or is a BIOS date not totally necessary?

There is little to fear about updating the bios these days, especially if you have USB bios flashback like your board does. Many updates over the past year or so have been for security vulnerabilities but there are also stability and compatibility fixes which you wouldn't really notice any difference unless you had components that were clashing with others. Performance wise, I doubt if there is anything left to improve on AM4 with Agesa updates by now.

I wouldn't worry about it, but unless you have an issue or there is newer ram or CPU that you need to update it to run, it's more of a 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'

I used to be ultra paranoid doing them, especially once when the PC took forever about it and kept restarting.
It was an incredibly nervous wait.
But I did one the other day on my modern MSI mobo with an EZ FLASH mode or whatever they called it, and it was quite fast and easy really.
Just make sure you follow instructions to the letter.

I wouldn't worry about it, but unless you have an issue or there is newer ram or CPU that you need to update it to run, it's more of a 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'

the thing that concerned me was the fact it was two years old BIOS,i thought surely an update would help something?

I used to be ultra paranoid doing them, especially once when the PC took forever about it and kept restarting.
It was an incredibly nervous wait.
But I did one the other day on my modern MSI mobo with an EZ FLASH mode or whatever they called it, and it was quite fast and easy really.
Just make sure you follow instructions to the letter.

yeah, those few minutes of waiting really is squeaky bum time! :cry:

the only way as far as i'm concerned lol

A buddy of mine tried it through Gigabytes included software to flash the bios... black screened for half an hour with no movement. Had to hard reset but thankfully it still worked... he's now having memory issues so im wondering if indeed the bios update did brick it.

A buddy of mine tried it through Gigabytes included software to flash the bios... black screened for half an hour with no movement. Had to hard reset but thankfully it still worked... he's now having memory issues so im wondering if indeed the bios update did brick it.

if it was affected Jay, would it not have bricked the whole board? or is it possible to affect certain components?

if it was affected Jay, would it not have bricked the whole board? or is it possible to affect certain components?

Unsure, never done bios update using software plus my mate has literally no clue with computers. He just banged update after update without really thinking what they actually do then messaged me and said he did this bios update thing and it's gone black for 30 mins now.. what do i do? :(:eek:, i guess its possible that it got corrupted during the process.

Honestly don't know why he didn't do some research before hand.

Last edited:
he could always reflash it in the bios to test the theory, its more likely its a timing issue on the ram and the bios update changed the stability of the memory and board combination. i also use a giga board and i have had many bios updates cause memeory stability issues for others to work fine with same timings..

Last edited:
he could always reflash it in the bios to test the theory, its more likely its a timing issue on the ram and the bios update changed the stability of the memory and board combination. i also use a giga board and i have had many bios updates cause memeory stability issues for others to work fine with same timings..

Yeah i thought this too, i don't know if he's enabled PBO or not but going by his knowledge, i highly doubt it so it's probably running default spec speeds.

He bought the parts for his computer 3 months ago... still hasn't got it working right :cry:.

Back
Top Bottom