BIOS Update (bricking it lol)

Yeah i thought this too, i don't know if he's enabled PBO or not but going by his knowledge, i highly doubt it so it's probably running default spec speeds.

He bought the parts for his computer 3 months ago... still hasn't got it working right :cry:.
if i recall correct, with my giga board, if i wanted to run stock speeds, i would have to change the auto settings to manual, pbo if i recall is enabled by default and set to auto, which uses AMD's limits for PBO. so in theory he should be set for an auto overclock without any manual intervention.

if i recall correct, with my giga board, if i wanted to run stock speeds, i would have to change the auto settings to manual, pbo if i recall is enabled by default and set to auto, which uses AMD's limits for PBO. so in theory he should be set for an auto overclock without any manual intervention.

I don't think he would even know where to look tbh, he's messaged me to tell me he's contacted OCUK and they've advised to send the board or the cpu back for possible defect.

Always worth doing BIOS updates with the amount of updates they do these days with fixes and security patches. When updating the BIOS I haven't used a USB stick in many years as I just put the BIOS file on the C: drive, go into the BIOS and just select the file from there, never had an issue doing that way and it's less risky in case the USB stick is dodgy or you accidently knock it.

Always worth doing BIOS updates with the amount of updates they do these days with fixes and security patches. When updating the BIOS I haven't used a USB stick in many years as I just put the BIOS file on the C: drive, go into the BIOS and just select the file from there, never had an issue doing that way and it's less risky in case the USB stick is dodgy or you accidently knock it.
Sweet, I am going to give that a try next time.

BTW it's a good idea - but probably overkill - to be powering the PC from a UPS when you do a BIOS update.
It's not common for boards to have a USB flash option that doesn't rely on the bios chip to function?

Personally I don't bother to flash my mobo, unless its needed to add compatibility for a CPU I'm trying to use.

a lot of those security fixes don't add any benefit for the home user, most of the time the attacker would need physical access to your computer for the vulnerability anyway.

Last edited:
True but I'd still rather keep my system up to date. It's not just about adding CPU support they also improve memory support, ram compatability and system stability. Just look at the mess Ryzen 7000 was early on with chips melting due to the board giving it too much voltage, similar thing for Intel recently though less severe for that platform as it was just causing stability issues which BIOS updates have pretty much fixed.

Only just found out Ryzen 7000 never supported 24GB and 48GB memory sticks at launch and needed an AGESA update to support them which that in itself gets updated fairly regularly with important fixes like adding support for higher ram speed, fixing dodgy USB issues which X570 had early on for some people among many other changes or fixes. There was even a Ryzen 3000 BIOS issue a few years ago that prevented Destiny 2 from launching and a BIOS update was needed for that, but that was a wierd exception I hope we don't see again.

So if I see a BIOS I update it to every version because who knows what other changes they may have done that's not in the patch notes, if there is an issue you can also flash an older one back over the top anyway if you really have to.

Back
Top Bottom