BIOS update problems... won't boot!!

Associate
Hi all.

I have an Abit IP35 PRo motherboard.

I have just updated the BIOS using the UGURU utility from within Windows XP, which I have used before (previously I updated and then reverted back to the original BIOS) with no problems. Except this time after updating and rebooting, my PC wouldn't even display the Post screen.

I've tried reseting the CMOS (via the on board jumper and even removed the battery for a few minutes) but that didn't help. If I power off and then power on, the PC comes on but nothing happens beyond that... all I hear are the fans and some hard drive startup noise :(

Is my PC borked or is there something else that I can do to get her up and running again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
Flashing from your OS is never a good idea, for this exact reason..

Yes the utility might work fine one time, but the next time you might not be so lucky as you have found out!!!

You could always try hotflashing your BIOS, I have never done this myself, but I have read about it..

Google 'BIOS hotflashing' to find out how this is done...

Other than that, you could buy a new BIOS chip, but I have heard they can be quite pricey..

Good luck ;)

Associate
OP
Okay... got it to work.

For some reason when I removed 4 of my 8gb (4 x 2gb sticks) of ram the PC went to post. Though for some reason I can't get it to accept all 8gbs now :confused:

I've tested all 4 sticks (4g at a time) and they all worked, but not as 8gb all together. I've tried setting some stuff in the BIOS without any luck.

Egh... if it's not one thing it's another :(

Thanks DavyBoy. Yeah I think this is probably about the 3rd or 4th time I've done it through Windows. I use to do it via a boot disk...

Associate
if all else fails you can get a new flashed chip of the bay for around £10 , i had to go down this root after downloading a bad .bin file to flash a foxconn motherboard.

goodluck!

Soldato
when you flashed the BIOS you will have reset all the settings to defauly incl. memory voltages etc.
Did you try increasing MCH at all?

Associate
OP
Yup... that was one of the first things I did after updating the Bios... but it just would not accept more than 4gb of ram, which is strange as the original Bios would work with all 8gb.

Back
Top Bottom