bit rate differences on Netflix packages 1080p

Soldato
I hope i can ask this question properly.
I have a 4k tv and understand that the more expensive 4k package
allows you to watch 4k content with a higher bit rate (i know Netflix have crippled all their bit rates)

BUT... if i had the 4k package and watched full HD content will i get a higher bit rate than on the lower Full HD package or is the bit rate capped on HD ?

thanks.

Man of Honour
Can't answer that one but it all looks **** if you have a half decent 4K display. I end up watching quite a lot of shows on my 1440p monitor as it hides the compression artefacts and banding in dark colours :(

Soldato
OP
Can't answer that one but it all looks **** if you have a half decent 4K display. I end up watching quite a lot of shows on my 1440p monitor as it hides the compression artefacts and banding in dark colours :(

yeah its the artifacts and banding in dark scenes i was trying to improve. i have done a lot of tweaking on my tv that has improved it but i was just curious if the 4k package upped the bit rate on HD content.
we'll have to wait to see if anyone else knows :D

Soldato
Something it does allow, on some hardware, is adding Atmos soundtracks alongside a 1080p screen. At least it does if you're using a PC as source and you have either capable Atmos hardware via HDMI or the Atmos headphone thing enabled in Windows (which I now rarely use because it's significantly worse sounding than my SXFi amp headphone dongle).

I assume that Atmos sounds needs a higher bitrate, even if watching at 1080p.

Soldato
OK i just tested 4K AVA and that only 9.16Mbps
And 4K The highway men is 15.25Mbps
4K Bad Boys only 8.35Mbps :eek:
4K Annie is only 4.05Mbps :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

So it looks like the bitrate goes by what being played

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Am sure my netflix 4k used to max out at 16Mbps

I just looked now and the first thing i tried showed 18.23Mbps :)
nDyF0BQ.jpg

it does differ from tv show to tv show. i remember watching season 1 of house of cads at 25Mbps
but on the whole they are re-encoding all content to use a lower bitrate in UK?EUROPE. oddly not USA. maybe its coz they have guns :D

Soldato
Not sure they have ever restored netflix and similar bit-rates to pre-covid levels, they just re-encoded with new 'AI' type strategy where facial detail encoding is prioritized,
re-encoding new most watched material provides better payback.

Looks like we are waiting to see if youtube tv comes to the UK - like their usa 4k option, where I could be watching the winter olympics.

Sony delivered on their promise from a year back - king of the hill
80Mbps IMAX Enhanced Streaming looks STUNNING! How to get it!

Soldato
doesn't look like youtube tv 4k is so expensive in the usa
They are now offering a 4k package for $20 per month. A bit high, but its going to be for both ESPN and FOX so a lot of college football and Thursday Night NFL games. The first month will be free and $9.99 a month for the first year after that. Then up to the normal $20 per month cost after the first year.

but, and, maybe because, 4k content seems very limited .. I was hoping to see/find some samplers of winter olympics content.

https://old.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/roifmh/4k_sports/

Back
Top Bottom