• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bizarre fault...

Associate
Hi folks.
Got a strange problem with my rig.:confused:
My second GPU (XFX 5850 black edition) will not initialise cleanly- the fan makes a horrid, unhealthy noise, and the mobo has to make several automatic restarts before it kicks in properly. Once the system is running, there are no problems at all- even the card's fan is normal.

The thing that baffles me, is that this only occurs when cold-booting. Waking the computer from sleep is fine every time, but it seems it doesn't like being shut down...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!
Jon

Associate
OP
Hi Wazza,
Yes, BIOS up to date.
Doing a re-build next week (away at work this week) into a new case, so will try the xfx on its own then.
Everything has been setup and running fine for months- this is a recent problem...
I'll have a stab at things soon and get back to ya...
Cheers!

Associate
OP
Well, it would appear to be the 5850 alone causing problems. System boots fine with just the 5870 in place.
Tried with the 5850 only, and several shuddering auto-restarts followed by 3 beeps and shutdown.
Bugger, what a waste of a hundred quid. I guess the moral of the story is don't buy secondhand GPUs... Thing is it's worked fine for months. Must just be my bad luck that I've owned it for it's last few breaths.

So folks, remember, always buy nice, brand new shiny bits from OCUK...

Soldato
Creep attack, something over time had come loose with the thermal expansion/contraction and by rebuilding it you have re-seated everything.

Back
Top Bottom