• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bizarre problem with RX460

Associate
Hi, I have two different RX460's, but both are behaving the same bizarre way.

Playing games, FPS are disasterous (Doom, 22fps at low settings) - but Afterburner says the card is working under 100% load - but drawing 31w? :confused:

One is powered from the lane, another has a 6-pin connector but both are stuck at the 31w draw for some reason.

The board's a H61M-VG4, and when I use an Nvidia card it works A1 with no issues.

What's going on here?

Associate
OP
Gets even weirder, tried it with an RX470 and that works better, but still crippled.

Draws 70-80w but never draws any more than that?

No idea why AMD cards do this, if I use a GTX750Ti or GTX970 they both work exactly as they should...

Associate
Afterburner reads the GPU die power draw, not including memory or anything else.

So those reads sound about right.

Also the FPS sounds about right, depending on what resolution and settings you're using. The RX 460 is a weak card.

Associate
That's not right, sounds like you're not boosting to the max clock, what is your core clock speed and temps under load (and core voltage if you can)?

Associate
OP
Running at 1080p low settings, but it drops to 22fps all the time, and average isn't stable.

Even with the RX470 it drops to 30's at 1080p high settings, which isn't normal either.

Both cards are reaching max core and memory clock no problem, ram usage not an issue, cpu cores all loaded OK (it's an i5-2500) and GPU temps are mid 50's to 60, both say 100% utilisation.

Afterburner has RX460 at about 40w average and RX470 around 70-80w.

Associate
Running at 1080p low settings, but it drops to 22fps all the time, and average isn't stable.

Even with the RX470 it drops to 30's at 1080p high settings, which isn't normal either.

Both cards are reaching max core and memory clock no problem, ram usage not an issue, cpu cores all loaded OK (it's an i5-2500) and GPU temps are mid 50's to 60, both say 100% utilisation.

Afterburner has RX460 at about 40w average and RX470 around 70-80w.

That is too low for those settings.

Sounds like a driver issue. Run DDU to fully uninstall all graphics drivers from all manufacturers, and then fresh install AMDs drivers.

Soldato
It's most likely an issue between Polaris/Pascal and older motherboards. The reason the 750ti/970 work alright is because they're older and compatible with what you have but we've seen many cases where older mobos (and yes, Sandy is now that kind of old) have problem with these new cards.

Associate
OP
It's most likely an issue between Polaris/Pascal and older motherboards. The reason the 750ti/970 work alright is because they're older and compatible with what you have but we've seen many cases where older mobos (and yes, Sandy is now that kind of old) have problem with these new cards.

Yeah, kinda have reached this conclusion. Head bangingly frustrating though cos even sandybridge is still rock solid for the latest games with a good card.

I have a load of ivy and sandybridge PC's that need cards so I'm gonna have to go swap these RX460's now for older cards. Oh well, lesson learned!

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Soldato
Try disabling power efficency in global settings.
And making sure frtc is either disabled or set to the correct refresh rate,
Aswell as the refresh rate and vysnc set correctly in game or disabled just for testing

Back
Top Bottom