Black marks appearing on TV

Soldato
Used to get this happen around 10 years ago with cornflies getting into peoples laptop screens / monitors. Didn't find a succesful way of removing them before it suddenly stopped happening again.

Soldato
OP
I spoke with Sony this afternoon and they were quite receptive to the issue. I even called them "bugs/stormflies" when I was describing the issue, the chap at the other end said "We'll just list these as black marks at the moment".
They wanted me to go through some basic troubleshooting - reset display settings, reset TV, make sure certain settings were turned off. They offered to do it all remotely, but I wasn't at home to give them access.
They also listed all the pictures they wanted from me, which I've subsequently taken and emailed over. They only work Monday - Friday, so I won't hear back until at least Monday.

What I was quite surprised about was the actual age of the TV. I've had it for just under 4 months. When I spoke to Sony they asked me when I bought it and asked if I could include a copy of the VAT receipt with my pictures. I said no problem at all. They explained that currently the TV was showing as out of warranty. From their end not a problem as the warranty begins when I purchased, so the receipt will solve that. However what that means is that it was sat in a John Lewis warehouse for at least 8 months. That sounds like terrible stock rotation!

Associate
Cheers for that. I'm not entirely sure where my full warranty is with. It was purchased from JL so has a 5yr warranty anyway, if that is only through JL or if there is an underlying Sony warranty there too I don't know. However at 5 months old it is definitely inside a 1yr warranty that Sony would have had to include.
I'm a little undecided at the moment on what to do.
The blighters are far less noticeable than I feared, 55" TV and I'm sitting a good distance away. Once they die they should either fall to the bottom or go completely transparent.
Should I involve Sony and they offer a replacement, if they do have any XE9305 left then I'll be swapping my 5 month old TV for a refurb. If they don't, then the XF9005 is an inferior model.

I'll have to have a think on this, but thank you for your update on the process you used.

They'll die and fall, only to be replaced by others.

Soldato
100% a thunderfly/thrip depending on where you live. You get an absolute tonne of them at this time of the year if you live in the countryside with lots of fields etc. You get thousands of them appear when they disturb the fields harvesting them. We do anyway, huge pain.

They are attracted to light and as such your TV screen and LED's in the back and are extremely thin hense how they get into practically anything known to man.

One of the reasons I went for the OLED to be fair as its a solid panel vs the normal LCD panel which is in layers, not all that greatly sealed either. Have had quite a few of them in monitors before. All replaced under warranty.

As most have said usually they die and dry up and a few light taps usually dislodges them to the bottom out of sight.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm still awaiting a call back from Sony, however as I only emailed over all my pictures on Friday I'm giving them until end of play tomorrow before I chase.
We've lived in this house for about 11 years. In that time 2 Samsung's (one of which is still here) and 1 Panasonic have been used. 2 Iiyama monitors and a current Dell - never had a bug under a panel before.
So whereas I'm 99% sure that is what has happened, I'm chalking this down to "manufacturing defect" and I'll chase it all the way :)

Soldato
OP
I just wanted to make a quick update to this.
Spoke with Sony last week who asked for pictures etc.
On receiving them they asked me to switch the TV off and make the room "as bright as possible" for a number of hours. I'm guessing they wanted to see if the bugs might "move to the light" so to speak. However there was no sign of movement in the 8hrs I actually did this for.
Sony called me up this morning and they are going to arrange a swap-out for me.
It will be a "factory certified" unit, however I'm not too worried as I've still got the rest of the John Lewis 5yr warranty to back me up.

Gotta admit Sony were a lot easier to deal with than stories and threads on other forums made me believe.

Soldato
On receiving them they asked me to switch the TV off and make the room "as bright as possible" for a number of hours. I'm guessing they wanted to see if the bugs might "move to the light" so to speak. However there was no sign of movement in the 8hrs I actually did this for.
It will be a "factory certified" unit, however I'm not too worried as I've still got the rest of the John Lewis 5yr warranty to back me up.

Gotta admit Sony were a lot easier to deal with than stories and threads on other forums made me believe.

Good news then :) yep there not bad to deal with in regards issues that are easy to prove, however if you do have any hassle in the future with them use the Resolver App ;)

Soldato

Excellent! I’ve had a couple my screens replaced in the past due to the bloody things.

Had one in my monitor this year luckily it crawled back out again overnight.

I’d suggest putting an ultra fine mesh up if you have your window open near the TV.

Back
Top Bottom