Black screen and system freezing

Associate
Hi everybody.

Hope this is a suitable question for this forum.

So I have just finished my first build. I am totally new to PC building and maintenance, having come from Mac and console. I will give a component list before outlying my problem.

AMD 2700x
Asus strix x470-f mobo
2x8GB G.Skill 3200 ram
Asus strix GTX 1080 TI OC 11GB
Thermaltake 280mm TT premium AIO
Corsair RM650X
Samsung Evo 970 500GB m.2 (sys+programs)
Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD (steam etc)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HHD (music)
Seagate Barracuda 4TB HHD (films etc)
LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray optical drive.
Thermaltake core x31 RGB case
Dell S2716DG
Windows 10 home edition

Ok. That's that out of the way.
So I did my build and it all went pretty smoothly having watched hours of YouTube videos and read so many forums.
Went to post to bios and got a horrible sound but it did post and let me into bios after about a minute. Set up the basics and installed Windows. Updated things, installed all the drivers, downloaded AMD chipset update etc.
Restarted machine, still getting horrible sound, and a beep type sound for approximately a minute before being able to enter bios. Anyway, having poked about and done some trouble shooting turns out one of the HDD's was DOA..... 2TB HDD removed, clean post, yay, so continue with installation of things.
And then black screen. System still running, fans going etc, but no response from mouse or keyboard. Can't turn off or reset system from front panel, in fact, the only way to restart system is to switch off at the PSU.
I should mention, as I'm new to this, the only changes I have made to the bios was to turn CPU FAN warning off as I'm using the AIO and case fans are running through a controller, turned the case fans up a fraction and I set ram speed to 3200.
Everything else seems to be working fine, I'm playing games on it, and after it black screens and I switch off at the PSU, it tends not to happen again until I have powered down and restart for another session at another time. On average it black screens between 5-15 minutes into a session. When ever it black screens EVERYTHING appears to be operational, but completely unresponsive. Front panel included.
I think I have put in all relevant info, but if anyone needs anymore info to offer any assistance, please let me know. Would love to solve this issue. Thanks guys.

Associate
First thing I would likely try is boot into safe mode and see if this still happens.

A quick google of "how to enter safe mode in windows 10" should tell you how if you dont already know.

Soldato
Have you tried any stress testing to see if it's related to load of CPU or GPU?
Prime95 and Intel Burn Test would be good for stressing CPU and Furmark for GPU stressing.

Associate
OP
No. I have not. I was about to ask on a new threat about benchmarking and stress testing, as I don't know what to do. As my handle suggests, I'm green than the New forest in spring .

Soldato
Sorry I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm not entirely convinced that a Corsair rm650 is enough for running that lot, the minimum specs for a 1080ti alone is 650w PSU, you've got lot there, I run less and use a 1000w PSU, I know it's over kill, but I see it as future proofing and nothing to worry about when I'm upgrading I wouldn't have gone for less than an 850w in that system.

It's like you've got a nice top of the line, high end system, and then brought a Corsair rm650, very middle of the road PSU.

Associate
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the psu being very close to the minimum requirements. The system will have absolutely no headroom.

Coyld you borrow or have a spare 750w + psu to try. Could be a powersupply issue.

Associate
OP
Ok. Thanks for the pointer on the PSU. I used ************ when choosing the components to ensure compatibility, as I wasn't sure. I will ask my network of friends if they have a larger one I can borrow, if not I guess I'll just have to buy one.
But one counter to that, if it was the PSU, would the problem not keep repeating? As I mentioned above, once the black screen occurs, and I switch off at the PSU and then reboot, the system is then stable .

Associate
If you can borrow a higher watt psu and the problem disappears then that almost guarantees that the problem is the psu.

There have been a lot of similar threads created for this type of thing over the past month.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, thanks for the help.

So I called Amazon helpline and explained situation. Even though the PSU is outside of the return period they are going to refund me!! Result.

Now, to avoid having to unwire-rewire everything, I figure if I buy another fully modular Corsair PSU I can just pop the new cables into the box of the old PSU and then just swap the units. Hey presto .

So my question is this, should I go for 850w or just go straight in at 1000w. Additionally, are there any Corsair PSU models that should be avoided. Bearing in mind it will have to be full modular to avoid having to take out and reinstall all the cabling- for a first build I think my cable management is pretty decent, so don't want to have to redo it all.

Thanks again guys .☮️

Back
Top Bottom