Black screen with white mouse curser after booting windows ??

Associate
I gave my PC a nice clean this morning, removing all dust etc.

when I went to turn it on again I could not get any picture even for the BIOS screen etc, this resulted in me having to force the computer to shut down via the power button several times. I then realised the issue was that I had not connected two of the GPU power cables tightly enough.

After attaching them again and booting the computer up I now had an image on my monitor, the BIOS screen would flash up and then the classic windows 10 loading screen with the spinning circle appeared…. However rather than booting into windows it instead just went to a black screen where only my mouse cursor was visible (I can move it about, it’s not frozen). It now stays on this screen for about 5 minutes before automatically loading into WinRE

User: F12F0CAE-0C4E-48D3-BA0D-E7BD1CA13B57.jpeg

I think me forcing the computer to shutdown multiple times (before I realised the Gpu cables were loose) has somehow corrupted or broken the windows install.

In an attempt to fix it I have done the following

• Booted into Windows recovery to try and restart the computer in safe mode only to find out that my WinRE seemingly has no option to do so unlike the various tutorials on the net which say you can boot to safe mode from here. Below are the options I have
User: B7EBBD24-B004-401E-A2C8-6753DF3560B3.jpeg

• I tried startup repair but it said it couldn’t repair the disk
  • I tried running CHKDSK via the command prompt option but it found no problems or bad sectors etc
  • I have no backups or restore points as I only use this pc for gaming,
  • I can access the BIOS screen for my MSI z-690 but I don’t really know if I can do anything to fix the issue from here
So basically I’m stumped and have no idea what to do from here, I really don’t want to have to try and install window again either.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
Associate
Try typing in your password/pin number as if you were able to see the log in screen. You may find that windows has set your primary display incorrectly. If it works then you just need to right click on the extended desktop and update the display settings to select the correct primary monitor.

Just a thought. Pressing Windows Key + P might work to change the primary screen back to the correct display

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, tried them all but no luck.

Even ran chkdsk via command prompt but it found no problems.

No idea what to do at this point, I have no restore points or backups and my computer seemingly has no option to boot into safe mode via WinRE

I can’t believe that turning the computer off via the power button 4 or 5 times in a row could brick a computer.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you included those on the motherboard if your CPU has onboard video? You might also try removing the GPU.

Mobo has no video out unfortunately and I’ve tried refitting the GPU.

One extra bit of info I’ve just discovered… if I leave it on the black screen for about 5 or so minutes it eventually automatically boots into WinRE. Dunno if that will help anyone diagnose thr issue but figured I’d mention it.

Back
Top Bottom