• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black screening

Soldato
Hey all.

Stumped on this one.

I have a 1080GTX.

When playing ANY game i would get an odd black screen event which the PC would recover from.

Will happen within mins of loading a game.

So I presumed it was the GPU, but before i RMA i decided to buy an AMD vega 64 and test that. Wanted to go back to AMD anyway.

It does the same thing, but far faster.

I reinstalled windows... still does it.

ONLY recent additions to PC before this started:
M2 SSD.

Oh and as im writing this, the GPU fan sped up. screen froze. Black screen. Recovery.... Back here.

BAHHH

Soldato
OP
Anyone got any ideas?
I'm currently migrating the OS off the M2 SSD back to normal SSD... then will remove it.
I'm getting system failures left right and centre at the moment.

Soldato
Well you've ruled out the GPU (unless you've been really unlucky and have 2 faulty cards!) so your best bet is to test things out logically (boot up with different components installed). What PSU and motherboard do you have? Could be a power issue.

Soldato
OP
I have an XFX pro1000w. 12v rail is solid.

Asus pro z170

I've checked windows logs and it's the audio driver that's causing lockups... And some unknown hardware failure... So I've just installed a new audio driver too. Testing

Caporegime
Hey all.

Stumped on this one.

I have a 1080GTX.

When playing ANY game i would get an odd black screen event which the PC would recover from.

Will happen within mins of loading a game.

So I presumed it was the GPU, but before i RMA i decided to buy an AMD vega 64 and test that. Wanted to go back to AMD anyway.

It does the same thing, but far faster.

I reinstalled windows... still does it.

ONLY recent additions to PC before this started:
M2 SSD.

Oh and as im writing this, the GPU fan sped up. screen froze. Black screen. Recovery.... Back here.

BAHHH
Is everything running at stock?
Clean install OS?

If so i would say PSU, or perhaps a bad PSU cable somewhere.

Soldato
OP
I've disabled the onboard HD audio via bios BIOS removed the drivers.

Still does it.

I enabled the iGPU and disabled the PCIE slots... No more black screens. My little 2d games run fine. Can watch videos fine.

So it's definitely something to do with using an external GPU.

I have been using this main board for years. Wall the way back to the release of the 290x

I do use PCIE extension cards as it's the thermal take wall PC..

Soldato
OP
Is everything running at stock?
Clean install OS?

If so i would say PSU, or perhaps a bad PSU cable somewhere.
My PSU was also on my mind. But after monitoring the 12v rail and other rails there are no issues. I've also tried other cables.

It's an XFX Pro1000w platinum. So it's a beasty unit

Soldato
OP
Not sure what those are, but i would start there.
It created a gap between the slot and card.
Allows you change the way it's mounted.

They have been working for years though.... I do have a new one that's in its pack still. Will get that out and test it with that.

Soldato
OP
Thought I had it fixed. Kombuster ran for hours. But as soon as I stopped it, hard lock up and now i have no display at all on anything that uses the PCIE lanes.

Sigh... :(

It's either the motherboard or the CPU that's given up the ghost.

I really hate diagnosing PC issues, it's an expensive process

Back
Top Bottom