Blackout curtains/blinds?

Soldato
I swear, every bloody curtain or blind is described as "blackout" and then you read the reviews and the pictures show them to basically be normal curtains.

I want abyssal darkness. As a kid I had these awesome accordion blinds that were completely impenetrable. I want that.

Has anyone had any good results? We rent, but I figure our landlord would likely be cool with us putting decent blinds/curtains up for free if we run it by them. Thinking blinds is the way forwards as eyelet curtains are always gonna let light in at the top.

Caporegime
I have blackout curtains cheap ones from some highstreet bargain shop. (maybe B&M)

the rear has some weird layer on it to stop the sun, works 100% they are heavier and stiffer than normal curtains

ahh I posted a pic the other day that has them, looks like normal curtain I guess
9kRp7a6.jpg

weird marks on the back is cos I washed them in the machine at 40c when it said hand wash only, still total blackout though.

wonder if the light is absorbed or bounced back to my plants

probably easier with curtains than blinds? cos there can't be any gaps around the edges at all and it's probably harder with blinds to get a 100% tight fit unless they are on the outside like european style shutters

Last edited:
Caporegime
The problem with curtains is you will get light bleed, end of, unless you can somehow make them hug the wall and make the bunched up parts not be bunched up.

You either want blinds that sit flat against the window, the maybe curtains in front, or some shutters.

Soldato
OP
The problem with curtains is you will get light bleed, end of, unless you can somehow make them hug the wall and make the bunched up parts not be bunched up.

You either want blinds that sit flat against the window, the maybe curtains in front, or some shutters.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I just want to sift through the marketing crap and find a set that literally blocks all light providing I can find a good fit

Caporegime
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I just want to sift through the marketing crap and find a set that literally blocks all light providing I can find a good fit

We got ultra blackout curtains from Dunelm, they do block the light. But as said where the curtains bunch up light goes through.

I think any decent blackout blind fitted on in 'reverse', so that the blinds rolls down towards the window rather than away from them if that makes sense will help.

Edit: as shown in the video here at like 1:10: https://www.247blinds.co.uk/how-to-fit-roller-blinds
No idea what that companies like btw

Don
For true blackout you either need a roller blind or maybe something like a perfect fit blind. IIRC, perfect fit don't require drilling into the wall / frames either so might be ideal for a rental.

I'll be looking into this when I move into my new place in a few weeks.

Soldato
OP
For true blackout you either need a roller blind or maybe something like a perfect fit blind. IIRC, perfect fit don't require drilling into the wall / frames either so might be ideal for a rental.

Good shout, will look into this!

Caporegime

Depends how they fit

Some might require fixtures under the window seal where the rubber is, good luck taking those out when you leave you tenancy :D

Soldato
Get some blackout fabric from a theatrical lighting company and stick it to the window frame with Velcro™.
I've seen several film makers and photographers make use of that solution, and it definitely blocks the light!

Soldato
OP
Get some blackout fabric from a theatrical lighting company and stick it to the window frame with Velcro™.
I've seen several film makers and photographers make use of that solution, and it definitely blocks the light!
You know, that might actually be the simplest solution!

Soldato
I swear, every bloody curtain or blind is described as "blackout" and then you read the reviews and the pictures show them to basically be normal curtains.

I want abyssal darkness. As a kid I had these awesome accordion blinds that were completely impenetrable. I want that.

Has anyone had any good results? We rent, but I figure our landlord would likely be cool with us putting decent blinds/curtains up for free if we run it by them. Thinking blinds is the way forwards as eyelet curtains are always gonna let light in at the top.
Thread here already:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/anyone-have-perfect-fit-blinds.18929922/#post-34866468

I got BlocBlinds. It is total pitch black.

cqUUgR0.jpg

Edit: and you can certainly fit "without tools" as the left and right 'wedge' in and force the blind carrier up top.

Soldato
OP
Thread here already:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/anyone-have-perfect-fit-blinds.18929922/#post-34866468

I got BlocBlinds. It is total pitch black.

Edit: and you can certainly fit "without tools" as the left and right 'wedge' in and force the blind carrier up top.

Interesting. A bit pricey, but if it means my daughter doesn't wake me up at 6am every weekend and actually goes to sleep in summer on time, I suspect worthwhile.

Are they intended to be toolless fitting? I'd be worried they'd get yanked out while using them.

Soldato
Interesting. A bit pricey, but if it means my daughter doesn't wake me up at 6am every weekend and actually goes to sleep in summer on time, I suspect worthwhile.

Are they intended to be toolless fitting? I'd be worried they'd get yanked out while using them.
They have double sided sticky foam pads to "get you going". I put two 'courtesy' screws in but I expect it'd be fine without, or at the very least - there isn't many screws even requested. Well worth it. Little one does 7-7am.

Back
Top Bottom