Blackvault's office redecoration

Soldato
At 37, I think it's high time to change the fact I've not done much DIY or decorating and so set myself the task of redecorating. Following a house move nearly 2 years ago, due to several factors, my partner and I haven't done much, if any decorating to make the house our home. Given I work from home I spend most of my day in the home office and have little motivation to sit and play guitar in the same room or fire up the PC and game. This is partially due to having been in the room for 8 hours, but mainly because it is not the nicest room to sit in. Hopefully, I can change that with a bit of redecorating.

The room is roughly 3m x 3m with a south/west facing window and is flooded with light. The window gives me a nice view of horses' feed and the washing line! I don't intend to replace the curtains but instead fit a roller blind and that will allow me to block the sun when needed, but not completely plunge the room into darkness.

The room was originally a bedroom and God knows why a chair rail is stuck around the outside. It is too small to be a dining room, where such a rail would be more usual, but the bungalow is only from the early 1980s and isn't a period feature. This will be coming off!

The previous owners left the pine wardrobe and lumbered us with it. The other two pieces of furniture came from the previous house and currently, aren't used other than to store my guitar cases or sit empty. The two Ikea units will be thrown out and the guitar cases will be stored in the attic, however, the pine wardrobe, looks like it could be dismantled and used in the stables. In place of the pine unit, I will fit a small sofa to sit on and play guitar, and place a small coffee table in front, to display a book or two and squeeze in a small corner lamp.

The Ikea wardrobe will be replaced by hanging guitars to show them off, along with putting up floating shelves for ornaments and a few Lego kits.
My computer rig and laptop will most likely stay in that location however I'll upgrade to a standing/sit desk when the funds allow. Depending on the size of the new desk, if I have room, I'll put a lamp standard beside it and the radiator to give me more light in that corner.

To make the room feel cosy and soften the hard surfaces, I will lift the laminate flooring and replace it with a dark-coloured carpet. I had also thought about ripping up the original skirting boards and replacing them with a higher more modern version, is it worth it?

Currently, I'm undecided about the colour of the room, however, I'm leaning towards a dark green on the wall with the guitars, and making it the "feature wall". The other three walls will be white/off-white or a lighter shade of the feature wall colour. What do you think?

The before:

UqZKqSZ.jpeg

17FRJsx.jpeg

0mln4OC.jpeg

ORcx9ll.jpeg

This post is mainly for me to catalogue my adventure but any thoughts or comments are welcome. I also thought, if @Ace Modder can show off his new hall, stairs, and landing, why can't I post about my redecorating?

Soldato
OP
I have a plasterer coming (dunno when) to tidy up the walls, so yesterday I had to start removing the chair rail and stripping the walls of paint. The chair rail was easily removed and good fun, however, the four layers of paint, were less so! Currently, we have white, red, blue, orange and mint green as the colours that the previous owner has previously painted the room. I'm finding the removal of the paint from the plaster hard work with a scraper, does anyone have any tips or tricks?

After a good few hours, this is the current process.
5ocqpwt.jpeg

c728TKU.jpeg

3CNHtD0.jpeg

Do I lift the skirting as well?

s5y3gDp.jpeg

Soldato
No need to remove the skirting if you are going for carpet; unless you want to renew it to something a bit more bougie. Removing the paint will be a pain, but it is what it is. How comes you are getting a reskim? Looks alright to me...

Are you using a sharp 150mm scraper?

As you have UPVC windows (i think) consider the clip in venetians, they are really quite nice for this sort of environment.

Like these.

Much nicer than a roller imo

If they arent then I would consider plantation type shutters in that room.

Soldato
As you have UPVC windows (i think) consider the clip in venetians, they are really quite nice for this sort of environment.

Like these.

Do you have these?
They look very cumbersome and bulky?

@Blackvault
@Blackvault I have a plasterer coming (dunno when) to tidy up the walls, so yesterday I had to start removing the chair rail and stripping the walls of paint. The chair rail was easily removed and good fun, however, the four layers of paint, were less so! Currently, we have white, red, blue, orange and mint green as the colours that the previous owner has previously painted the room. I'm finding the removal of the paint from the plaster hard work with a scraper, does anyone have any tips or tricks?
If it's hard work then at least it was painted by someone with half a brain!
Personally if I was you unless the walls need stripping I would leave them. You'll need to finish the walls (ideally) that youve stared, aside from the half and half wall.
Then get yourself some Easifill 60 and skim of the joins between plaster and paint, will give you a nice smooth finish to paint.
50/50 the bare plaster before painting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Get a sparky in for more plug sockets.... You can never have enough plug sockets in a office :)
I hadn't thought of that. Currently, the two sockets seem fine, and honestly, the thought of tracking the walls, and spending a fair bit of the cost of having an electrician and then a plasterer come in, is off-putting.
No need to remove the skirting if you are going for carpet; unless you want to renew it to something a bit more bougie. Removing the paint will be a pain, but it is what it is. How comes you are getting a reskim? Looks alright to me...

Are you using a sharp 150mm scraper?
The only reason I would remove the skirting is to update it. Even something similar to this would freshen it up.
I had spoken to a plasterer and he said the options are a reskim or patching the holes/cracks. Having taken the wall back to the plaster I would agree it doesn't need a reskim, so most likely I'll not go for that option.
Yes, I'm using a sharp scraper. As I said in my first post, this is the first time doing any redecorating and it is an eye-opener with an amount of time and effort. There would most definitely be no 60-minute maker with the amount of paint needing to be removed! :p

Like these.

The windows are indeed UPVC and the only thing we've done to the house since moving in. Looking at those, it reminds me of an office. I'd thought of a roller blind because it would help soften the room, granted not as much as curtains. Although I will concede they look quick and easy to install. The plantation-style shutters, do look nice, but again they are hard material, Unless I've misunderstood how they work they don't offer me the ability to roll a blind down when the sun is shining in.

SPG

SPG

Soldato

Like these.

I didn't know these were a thing!

Do you have these?
They look very cumbersome and bulky?

I do in some rooms.
They are hardly either (cumbersome or bulky), but if you go for the larger slats they of course stick out more.

On mine the blinds stick out about 1cm from the front of the window and you lose in effect about 1cm of window all round as the blinds are slightly smaller than the original opening, in order to trap the slats in the opening.

For us the big benefit was that they remain attached to the window, so if you open the window you don't have that annoying flapping blind issue.

Soldato
As I said in my first post, this is the first time doing any redecorating and it is an eye-opener with an amount of time and effort. There would most definitely be no 60-minute maker with the amount of paint needing to be removed! :p
Yeah deffo. It is a right chore. The trick is to not get distracted and push on. Too easy to take too many tea breaks and it can make a 1 day job span 3 or 4 easily :D

Soldato
:cry: There is a lot of truth in it though. I watch proper tradies and they're itching at doing "anything" that is progress. I end up pondering from afar way too often lol.

Associate
Looking forward to updates on this.

Have you considered doing some wood panelling on one of the walls? Will go really well in a study, fairly easy to put up and creates a very classy look.

Soldato
Paneling isn't a bad idea - essentially replace your chair rail with a piece of MDF. Nail and caulk it, then put some verticals in. Can look really great.

Soldato

Like these.

These look great, are they easy to fit?

I've ordered a couple of samples both wood and metal, the best thing is when you open the windows you won't get the 'rattle' I get from my vertical blinds

These look great, are they easy to fit?

I've ordered a couple of samples both wood and metal, the best thing is when you open the windows you won't get the 'rattle' I get from my vertical blinds

It depends what you mean by easy. Heres the process in effect :

1) You need to measure your windows accurately. Easy.
2) You need to check for clearance of handles etc. Easy.
3) You need to measure the depth they will sit to so you can order the correct set of clips. Medium difficulty.
This is all explained on their website, but I found the last part a little tricky, just that nagging worry you may get it wrong. However it wouldn't affect the main part so if you did mess it up then its just some new clips you would need.
Edit, actually on this point, it could possibly affect it. Just go slow, you should only need to do it once. There are standard depths so I measured then check to see if I lined up which I did.

When you receive them they are flat packed, so you have 4x lengths of metal blind rail, with the corner sections.
1) Empty it all out and check which is which if you are ordering multiple blinds. Easy but keep your measurements by window if you have multiple in very close dimensions. Easy.
2) Put the blind together. Medium/difficult. Depends on the size and if you have help. The corners are stiff and your trying to force some roughly cut metal ends into them. I started just scraping off the ends a bit to remove the worst "swarf" which seemed to help. You need to wiggle them a bit. Medium/difficult. Just take your time.
3a) Insert clips to window. I found easiest way was to hold blind to window, mark with a pencil a little line where you needed the clips (2 or 3 per side) and then put blind down. Easy.
3b) Depending on your seals you may need to lubricate them a bit, or may be able to just slowly push them in. Once you have done the first one you will get the hang of it. After the first I was inserting all per frame in under a minute. Easy.
3c) Raise blind to window and push it into the clips. Easy.

Bear in mind if you go for large slats they have to stick out more. How far they stick out is a combination of how deep the plastic is around your glass and how wide the slats you choose are. We went for the smallest slats as we wanted them as close to the windows as possible.
We already had plantation type blinds and have in effect now doubled up in our bedroom.
They are really good this time of year however when the blind follows the window, so if you open it a bit the blind doesn't get in the way at all. The whole blind in the way or being basically unusable thing goes away.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom