• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

sg0

sg0

Associate
Is there any stand out brand/sub brand that produced the 4090 well? I heard good things about the msi suprim. Just trying to avoid possible manufacturing issues.

Soldato
Is there any stand out brand/sub brand that produced the 4090 well? I heard good things about the msi suprim. Just trying to avoid possible manufacturing issues.
I would be more concerned with best warranty first, all the 4090 are very good cards tbh arguably ASUS strix 4090 oc being the best of the air cooled cards but looks one of the worst looking, specially their silly led lights, then the palit card with their fake diamond pattern bling. I used to remember there was a time when some cards used to look decent. I like the gigabyte aorus cards best for aesthetics and led implementation, I used to like their Aorus master 3090 with the edge LCD screen. Founder Edition card are very good but to be they don't look great but some prefer the minimalist look they have.

For warranty gigabyte and msi are good and ASUS can be slow, up to 6 weeks slow. Palit is only through retailer but MSI and gigabyte and ASUS will deal with you directly if required, but don't quote me on this as I am going from my experience form quite a while back. Things might of changed over the last few years so double check.

Last edited:
Reactions: sg0

sg0

sg0

Associate
I would be more concerned with best warranty first, all the 4090 are very good cards tbh arguably ASUS strix 4090 oc being the best of the air cooled cards but looks one of the worst looking, specially their silly led lights, then the palit card with their fake diamond pattern bling. I used to remember there was a time when some cards used to look decent. I like the gigabyte aorus cards best for aesthetics and led implementation, I used to like their Aorus master 3090 with the edge LCD screen. Founder Edition card are very good but to be they don't look great but some prefer the minimalist look they have.

For warranty gigabyte and msi are good and ASUS can be slow, up to 6 weeks slow. Palit is only through retailer but MSI and gigabyte and ASUS will deal with you directly if required, but don't quote me on this as I am going from my experience form quite a while back. Things might of changed over the last few years so double check.
good advice, thanks. I'll probably stay away from asus because of their repair shenanigans over at gamers nexus etc.

Last edited:
Associate
That maybe a good thing as all AMD has done is support Nvidia’s high pricing by releasing their own cards at similarly poor prices, even to the point of making Nvidia look like better value for money.
That's a very strange logic as it boils down to "one overpriced product is better than having competing overpriced products". In what universe is that better for the consumer?

Soldato
That's a very strange logic as it boils down to "one overpriced product is better than having competing overpriced products". In what universe is that better for the consumer?
Because when both companies overprice then it normalises those prices as opposed one company looking like the odd one out.

Last edited:
Associate
Because when both companies overprice then it normalises those prices as opposed one company looking like the odd one out.
If there's only one company left there's nothing to compare it to and so it doesn't look odd anymore, it looks normal.

Soldato
My last two cards have been FE’s, and very high quality.

FE cards are just too loud for me! The larger AIB cards have much more headsink surface area, so can have fans at lower speeds for lower noise.

My 4090 Strix is the quietest GPU I've had in many years, very happy with it since October 2022 :)

Associate
FE cards are just too loud for me! The larger AIB cards have much more headsink surface area, so can have fans at lower speeds for lower noise.

My 4090 Strix is the quietest GPU I've had in many years, very happy with it since October 2022 :)
De you have a small case? The 3080 FE I had was very quiet and this one is virtually silent, I do have a large case though.

Associate

I’ve had a suprim, strix and now founders.

The founders has the best build quality out of all of them. It feels premium.

Overclocking gains are marginal on the other two, they’re not worth paying 4-500 more.

The only positive they had in real world use was lower fan noise.

The founders edition fans don’t sound great above 50%. Really nasty sound profile.

Last edited:
Reactions: sg0
Soldato
I’ve had a suprim, strix and now founders.

The founders has the best build quality out of all of them. It feels premium.

Overclocking gains are marginal on the other two, they’re not worth paying 4-500 more.

The only positive they had in real world use was lower fan noise.

The founders edition fans don’t sound great above 50%. Really nasty sound profile.
Yeah, I love everything about the FE cards, apart from the noise. Just not acceptable on a premium product.

Associate
Yeah, I love everything about the FE cards, apart from the noise. Just not acceptable on a premium product.

Do you undervolt yours?

I’m running at 2750mhz at 0.975v and 80% power limit, fan runs at about 45% speed which is acceptable.

Temps stay under 60c in pretty much every game unless I run dlaa on a heavy ray tracing game.

Last edited:
Associate
......maybe some of you should start putting your 4090's on the MM before the prices start dropping. Not that I'm looking for one or anything.

Seriously though, still running my 3090. I would love a 4090 BUT I'm not playing anything that "needs" it so trying to wait for 5090. Hoping it's not too long and not stupidly priced. I paid £1400 for my 3090 on launch day, might be willing to pay that again if the 5090 is a good step up.

Soldato
But having to pay a further premium to reduce noise on top of the already high premium is acceptable?
More required than acceptable - I enjoy having a quiet gaming PC and I'm willing to pay more to enable this. Shouldn't be required on a premium product, but there you go :p

Soldato
Do you undervolt yours?

I’m running at 2750mhz at 0.975v and 80% power limit, fan runs at about 45% speed which is acceptable.

Temps stay under 60c in pretty much every game unless I run dlaa on a heavy ray tracing game.
Yeah I'm undervolting. Card still needs to ramp up fans at 100% load, 4k, RT enabled though.

Strix does well for fan noise compared to the FE, see below. Both can be undervolted, though the FE will always be a much louder card, due to having less surface area (smaller heatsinks) and less efficient fans.

JRq0NCL.png

Soldato
Yeah I'm undervolting. Card still needs to ramp up fans at 100% load, 4k, RT enabled though.

Strix does well for fan noise compared to the FE, see below. Both can be undervolted, though the FE will always be a much louder card, due to having less surface area (smaller heatsinks) and less efficient fans.

JRq0NCL.png
if you think FE 4090 is loud you should have heard my gigabyte AMD RADEON 6990 dual gpu card, it was like a blow dryer, it was crazy. After that nothig seemed loud. I could hear it even outside, wait I can still hear it :D

Back
Top Bottom